turn off edge enhancement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turn off edge enhancement

anyone know if you create an irradiance map with edge enhancement, can you then turn it off for the render? Will it cause any problems?

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

edge enhancement? OR Detail Enhancement?
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

oops yeah i meant detail enhancement.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

detail enhanement is basically a hybrid lighting calculation which adds QMC GI to IRmap calcs.
        As far as I know its only produced at render time.

So if you turn it off it wont cause any problems. It will just look slightly different and it should render faster
        Chris Jackson
        Shiftmedia
        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

yeah... detail enhancement happens at render time. So what this means is that you can lower the IRmap settings and go get your detail at render time. None of the detail enhancement is being calculated during the IRmap phase, so it is pointless to use it at that time.

Comment

Re: turn off edge enhancement

Originally posted by percydaman
            anyone know if you create an irradiance map with edge enhancement, can you then turn it off for the render? Will it cause any problems?
            Yep, it will cause problems. The irradiance maps calculated with detail enhancement and without it are quite different. If you have calculated the map with detail enhancement "on", it will contain "blank" areas to be filled with detail during the actual rendering. If you turn off DE for the final rendering, this will look very weird.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Re: turn off edge enhancement

Originally posted by vlado
              Yep, it will cause problems. The irradiance maps calculated with detail enhancement and without it are quite different. If you have calculated the map with detail enhancement "on", it will contain "blank" areas to be filled with detail during the actual rendering. If you turn off DE for the final rendering, this will look very weird.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              thank you, thats what I suspected. I noticed that the irradiance map seemed to take longer with it turned on. But the rendertime itself just became too unmanageable, for an animation at full HD. So I decided to turn it off.

Comment

percy, if you need the extra detail you can do an AO pass and comp it in
                Chris Jackson
                Shiftmedia
                www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

thank you, I know all about vray dirt, I was using it before it was publically released. I also knew what detail enhancement was, just needed to know if it was turned on for an irradiance map, whether you were locked into using it for the render or if a new irrad map would be necessary.

Judging from the responses, Im going to assume nobody else knew the correct answer either, other then vlado.

Comment

i never doubted you percy
                    Chris Jackson
                    Shiftmedia
                    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Originally posted by jacksc02
                      percy, if you need the extra detail you can do an AO pass and comp it in
                      Also keep in mind that Dirt/AO has no lighting information... just darkening. Detail enhancement actually has lighting/GI info.

Comment

yes thats one of the problems I have with vray dirt. In certain situations, I have to screen in a local light pass, after multiplying in the dirt, as it basically removed light in corners ans such. Sometimes I just dont want a crapload of passes...lol lazy....

Comment

Sometimes I just dont want a crapload of passes...lol lazy....
                          As a person that used renderman for years... I know what you mean. I habitually render a lot of passes then after, I wonder why... with Vray this is need for little more than the beauty pass.

Comment

Is it ok to turn on detailed enhancement after rendering an irmap without it?
                            www.jamesatilano.com

Comment

Originally posted by walkstar
                              Is it ok to turn on detailed enhancement after rendering an irmap without it?
                              Granted.. this is a guess... but I would say yes, very much so.

Comment

Working...
                              X