Matrix-Weighted Physcam Exposimeter Script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrix-Weighted Physcam Exposimeter Script

EDIT: the very first link posted had a nasty, and silly bug to trademark it as my own. For those who have errors thrown up when trying to change a weight, redownload it afresh, as that's been fixed.

I'm so very fond of this one i thought I'd have it in a thread of its own.
    It took me (and some of you. Thankyou for bearing with my stuttering brain...) to go through all the pains with the previous versions, but it's finally here.
    V 1.0 so to break away from the previous versions, really just an attempt at the concept.

Below is a screenshot of the interface: Distinguishable are the VRay messages window (2.5 seconds to render the small sample image), the exposimeter interface by the side of it, the small sample render (quite clearly overblown) i started from.
    Below, the maxscript listener that prints out what happened during exposure, and the rendered image, after exposure.

There's an instructions file that comes in the Zip, but I'll type the most useful infos about it here:
    --Intro
    The exposimeter is able to weight out a rendered picture (the sample) dividing it in parts, and assigning to each one a different importance.
    It can also be instructed to weight an interval of the pixel values, rather than the whole range, so to avoid blinding/overexposure.
    This is in a way very similar in result to what a lens filter does, cutting away unwanted light frequencies.
    It's fully customisable for areas weights and brightness ranges (check the interface screenshot), so the user can blame me no more for wrong exposures

Further instructions as to the usage are included.
    One issue it has (it's a max issue, really), is that after exposure, the environment background map is reapplied through the max presets loading.
    If the image was instanced in the material editor, the instanced connection will be broken (and this is the max bug. sorry about it).
    Easy enough to copy the envirnment map back in (or clear the mateditor slot, whichever you prefer); in fact no visible change will happen to the renderer, wether the user copies the map back or not.

here's the link to the file on scriptspot (the full script pack is also updated in the OT thread).

http://www.scriptspot.com/lele/Matri...meter_1.14.rar

A "strange" update which seems to work really nicely, bless VRay.
    There's now a checkbox at the bottom of the script window which will attempt to white-balance the physcam automatically.
    Notice it will turn itself off after the first time it's run, as running it twice will set the color to a mid-gray, canceling the WB.
    Further expositions, in case, if the lights colours haven't changed, can be done without the WB feature turned on.

Follow a few samples:

original image:

white-balanced image:

notice how the white-balance adds subtle timts to the sky...

a more extreme example here (sun with turbidity at 20) which i called from mars to venus...
    the normal image:

the white balanced one:

Notice how while it doesn't return pure white colours, the tint is definitely biased out, and simple adjustments would do the trick of white-balancing the render to tastes.

As per usual: "Maxscript->Run Script"; point it to installer.ms, and go fetch the command into the Lele's VRay Tools category in the "Customize->Customize UI" menu.
    DO NOT drag installer.ms on the max viewport: it will NOT work.

Thanks again for your precious times, folks.

Lele

Very cool lele, haven't tried it yet but the matrix stuff looks great, I had started to play around with something like that. Thanks for your time and genius in your tools

to bad it does not support multiple frames.
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

yep genius is the term eheh, thanks again, intérior/extérior/matrix waouw, what a tool !!!!
      =:-/
      Laurent

Comment

Lol of course, it doesn't "internally".
        Nothing stops the user, though, to set "animate" on and expose at ideal frames, letting max interpolate the exposures.
        Unfortunately, due to the issues with rounding and precision (just like it happens with standard dSLR exposures), no two exposures are exactly the same.
        At times the multiplier/divider coefficient is something like 1.000015, but it's enough to have the image flicker, if the exposure is taken frame by frame (like in the dSLRs mentioned above...).
        Overall, though, it is by far the most useful of all my children of exposure: the last, and most loved one

Lele

Comment

LOL .. when vray1.5 arrived i was thinking of a similar script ...but then i found the "exposure" checkbox from the physcam parameters

Respect anyway!
          www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Comment

Pretty damn impressive Lele!!
            Great work

Has improved in leaps and bounds!!

Comment

yap...
              improved beyond expectations imho!

gr8 work lele!
              ....again!

Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
              nuno@ene-digital.com
              00351 917593145

Comment

Yikes! Great work!

Comment

Originally posted by Dschaga
                  LOL .. when vray1.5 arrived i was thinking of a similar script ...but then i found the "exposure" checkbox from the physcam parameters

Respect anyway!
                  Eric Boer
                  Dev

Comment

He means you can turn of physical exposure..then exposure behaves like a standard max camera...but that's not really the point of the physcam, is it ? :P

Thorsten

Comment

Re: Matrix-Weighted Physcam Exposimeter Script

Originally posted by studioDIM
                      2.5 seconds to render the small sample image)
                      u got a new rig allright!
                      Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                      nuno@ene-digital.com
                      00351 917593145

Comment

Very nice. Can't wait to test it. Thanks Lele!
                        LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                        HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                        Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Re: Matrix-Weighted Physcam Exposimeter Script

Originally posted by ene.xis
                          Originally posted by studioDIM
                          2.5 seconds to render the small sample image)
                          u got a new rig allright!
                          i wished.
                          It's all VRay goodness.
                          While the image does have some glossies, if faint, it's been switching to Lightcache/IRmap+DE that did the trick.
                          I did so for the purpose of having a much more accurate interior lighing, and vray just returned a heck of a lot more speed to me
                          Lucky chance
                          That, and the fact that i turned AA off (it's on, and heavy, if one uses QMC. Direct methods need it, or the pixel values may, and will, vary a lot).

Thankyou all for the kind words, and the bugtesting some of you have offered throughout the previous versions (voluntarily or not ).
                          I'm thinking of adding in a video-manual for how to best expose some scenes (complex interiors, different exteriors, and so on).
                          Dunno if it'd be good or not, tbh, or even if it's pertinent at all...

Lele

Comment

I think it would be very helpful.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

well all is good but how can i stop render before end ?

Comment

Working...
                              X