this is really great news...

Best regards,
    Daniel Santana
    Daniel Santana | Co-Founder / Technical Director
    You can do it! VFX
    Lisbon/Porto - Portugal
    http://www.ycdivfx.com

Comment

this is the best thing i have read on this forum ever.
      Reflect, repent and reboot.
      Order shall return.

Comment

We have been having serious problems with flickering in our animations recently and, they haven't been sorted completely so anything to get rid of it is welcome.

Vlado, I know you mentioned that this was your first foray into looking at this problem but, can you give an idea of when it will be released ? If its not for another two releases - fine, I am curious.
        www.morphic.tv
        www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

We Really need that as well.

I am forced to use LC and IR for animations to keep rendertime down all the time. QMC just wasn't giving us the times we needed, but IR flickered too much. We eventually settled on IR maps, but I'm not particularly thrilled with the amount of flicker.

Unfortunately we also need to use a Bunch of glossies, but at the same time need to show really nice and sharp edges on thin details, so we even have to use Adaptive Subdivisions for anti aliasing as well. QMC for anti-aliasing, while using less memory, took Way longer with the same kind of quality.

This news is Definitely welcome. I hope to see the next version coming out Real soon. I keep watching the Announcements page but it never seems to have any news of R4(oh such disappointment).

Comment

So, this method produces way less flicker, but I can clearly see some big spots, travelling around Not THAT fast, as usually, but...

Anyways - great!

P.S. Hope to see method, when I can directly paint some areas of interest, so they would be rendered with higher precision Kinda DE, but only in those areas, which I point to, not the algorythm itself. I imagine - placing "dummy" in front of important areas, so VRay will recognise where to shoot more
            I just can't seem to trust myself
            So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
            ---------------------------------------------------------
            CG Artist

Comment

To expand on Paul's idea --- painting areas of interest would be fine... but a quick way toward such functionality would be to emulate the functionality of VraySphereFade. Let users attach an atmospheric sphere gizmo to the animated object(s) and then only the area within the sphere would have an interpolated irr. Anything outside the sphere(s) would remain a static irr... and perfectly flicker-free.

Maybe that's possible?

Also -- I'd love to see a similar option to use spheres to define areas that should have higher AA settings. I often only need a small portion of my render sampled at high rates (like 2, 3). Most of my scene usually looks fine with 0, 2) so the ability to mix/match would be great. Using the sphere to define areas of higher sampling OR even the ability to set higher AA in Object Properties or VrayMtl properties would be very useful.

Comment

VERY...BLOODY...COOL!!!

Nice work Vlado.

Comment

Originally posted by davision
                  To expand on Paul's idea --- painting areas of interest would be fine... but a quick way toward such functionality would be to emulate the functionality of VraySphereFade. Let users attach an atmospheric sphere gizmo to the animated object(s) and then only the area within the sphere would have an interpolated irr. Anything outside the sphere(s) would remain a static irr... and perfectly flicker-free.

Maybe that's possible?

Also -- I'd love to see a similar option to use spheres to define areas that should have higher AA settings. I often only need a small portion of my render sampled at high rates (like 2, 3). Most of my scene usually looks fine with 0, 2) so the ability to mix/match would be great. Using the sphere to define areas of higher sampling OR even the ability to set higher AA in Object Properties or VrayMtl properties would be very useful.
                  Can't this be done with the tools we already have plus the animated IRMap?
                  Just render the BG IRMap as standard multiframe, and a spherefade animated IR pass, and comp them over...
                  This way you'd get the same result as using a spherefade with internal settings, but would have a higher control on the process (RT blending in post).
                  Or not?

Lele

Comment

i guess lele its an all in 1 solution
                    Chris Jackson
                    Shiftmedia
                    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

^ Don't spoil this lele.
                      Colin Senner

Comment

oh boy this would solve all my horrible suffering

can we get this to play with .... soon?... now?
                        WerT
                        www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

I am not overly proud of this fact but I have spent the last month (on and off) trying to get rid of flickering in my glossies;

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=18835

The thing I can't get my head round is that when I rendered the same project with 1.49, it came out absolutely perfect and at a massively reduced time.

To get a lesser result, I have had to increase the settings and subsequently the render times.

This is a serious problem because, if the client was sreaming for the finished movie - we simply would not have been able to complete it.
                          www.morphic.tv
                          www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X