No announcement yet.

fresnel reflections, when to use them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right --- the part that really confuses me though is... I asked Vlado whether vray reproduced that parallel-view "compression" in ordinary glossy materials (i.e., not ones made glossy by adding a bump map). He said 'no' even though I thought it was almost an automatic byproduct.

Therefore, if vray doesn't account for that, I suppose it means we should be adding fresnel maps to our glossiness map slot too? I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by davision
      Therefore, if vray doesn't account for that, I suppose it means we should be adding fresnel maps to our glossiness map slot too? I guess?

I was playing with just this after reading Thorsten's post, works great after adjusting the curve a bit in the fresnel falloff map. Great for rough paint or plastics too. Just uncheck "overide material ior" and it adjusts along with the reflection ior.
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

Mind posting an image as an example? I'm a bit lost.
        Dusan Bosnjak
        http://www.dusanbosnjak.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RErender
          . Great for rough paint or plastics too. Just uncheck "overide material ior" and it adjusts along with the reflection ior.

But why just these materials? -- rough paint or plastics -- Shouldn't this fresnel function apply to anything with a degree of glossiness? Isn't that what makes something 'glossy' -- an inherent roughness in the surface. Whether it's slightly rough or very rough -- it seems the 'parallel compression effect' would still occur to some extent.

Comment

I did not mean just those, as I look around the room here I see the reflections behaving like this all around, even my waxy drink cup...

Pailhead, I'll see if I can get the time to show something.
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

have been looking again at the doorknob in the reflectivity lab..
              - still not sure about the glossiness changing, it is a smooth highly shiny surface, but one thing that adds to the illusion is that, head on, all I can see is my face - which is stretched out - but at the sides of the knob I can see the room walls, a window, another door, very like a fisheye lens, and
              these are compressed into a small area and as a result appear pin sharp

as I said I mostly do without fresnel for chrome /stainless - full reflection gives a more 'bling' look which suits the design style on those projects

Comment

Working...
              X