Vray Material Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Material Converter

I was wondering if anyone has a modified script out there that will convert standard materials to vray materials on an individual/selected basis. Whether it converts for selected object or the selected material slot doesn't matter, just as long as it doesn't do it for the whole scene. Not much of a scripter so I apologise if this is an easy one...
    Drew Wood-Davies
    Head Of Lighting & Look-Development | Method Studios | Melbourne, Australia

nearly as easy as a right click > vray scene convertor.

Comment

yes, that will do it for the whole scene though, it would be nice to be able to convert individual materials.
      Drew Wood-Davies

Comment

found a way around it, if anyone else is intersted in the script let me know
        Drew Wood-Davies

Comment

Originally posted by Druski
          found a way around it, if anyone else is intersted in the script let me know
          yep! I m interested!

Also, do you think it would be complicated to do a script that convert VRay materials BACK to standards material? I mean only the VRAY diffuse slot back to a standard material with the same diffuse.

Comment

doing a material converter isn't complicated, it's just dead boring and fairly long.
            it needs to cater for loads of possible options and oddities, unless one simplifies it to the point where it's hardly usable for a real conversion, forcing the user to go in and change by hand some option in dozens of materials.

Lele

Comment

Originally posted by studioDIM
              doing a material converter isn't complicated, it's just dead boring and fairly long.
              it needs to cater for loads of possible options and oddities, unless one simplifies it to the point where it's hardly usable for a real conversion, forcing the user to go in and change by hand some option in dozens of materials.

Lele
              What you are saying is the EXACT OPOSIT of what I said ...

I dont need all parameters to be converted, I ONLY need the diffuse map!....

Comment

The problem is that if one starts doing a script for you doing only the diffuse map then someone will pop up that very day and ask for the bump map only...and within a month you'll find yourself writing a full-fledge, all around, feature complete, rock solid converter and spend 80% of your day providing tech support :P

Thorsten

Comment

Originally posted by instinct
                  The problem is that if one starts doing a script for you doing only the diffuse map then someone will pop up that very day and ask for the bump map only...and within a month you'll find yourself writing a full-fledge, all around, feature complete, rock solid converter and spend 80% of your day providing tech support :P

Thorsten
                  then you advise not to do anything?!! thats is?

Comment

this feature has been ask and ask and ask again from a lot of forum's member that work for real time 3D...

NOBODY HERE US

Comment

Exactly who do you expect to listen? Chaos? You're asking for a script to convert vray materials into something else for a differerent renderer. How does this fall under the term "feature" and get classified in to someting that Chaos has to provide? Should they also provide tools to convert vray materials to mental ray? to renderman? If it's that important to you either learn scripting in max or hire someone to do it for you (I'm sure Lele will do it if you pay him enough ).
                      www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

From the sounds of it I'd advise learning maxscript

Comment

Heh...sorry, i didnt mean to sound rude or anything, i was actually kidding. But as usual the joke has a true core. When providing free scripts or plugins or anything ppl always expect them to fail-proof and do everything they need (even if they are the only one needing a specific feature). Maxscript isnt that hard. There's a plethora of Tutorials and Reference available. If you need something as simple as a Vray->MaxMat converter that only needs to keep diffuse maps i'd definately suggest to look into doing it yourself. You can even use the exisiting converters as a reference (*hint* you need to do it backwards */hint* :P)

Regards,
                          Thorsten

Comment

I will...in my next life for sure...

Comment

If you want it so bad, do it yourself n6... its so simple it shouldnt be too hard to work out.

Comment

Working...
                              X