• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop render element importer v0.02

Edit:
    For updated versions of these tools, go to this thread:
    http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ad.php?t=41740

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    So it's 4am right now and I've been up all evening writing a script and some actions for Photoshop to automate importing of render elements.
    Here they are if anyone wants them.
    I have only tested them in Photoshop CS3 but they might work in CS2 as well.

Download!

The zip file consists of 3 files. One is a bat file used to make the vrimg2exr.exe utility easier to use, One is a collection of actions and the other is a Photoshop script that attempts to automate everything. Here's some quick descriptions:

vrimg2exr.bat file:
    This file will automatically save out the separate channels into exr files.
    To edit the file simply open it in notepad. You can change the naming and such that way.

Actions:
    -Add Single Layer-
    This action pops up an "open" dialog letting you select a picture to add as a layer to the current picture. The picture will be added as the topmost layer and set to Linear Dodge blending. While it's possible to select more then one image in the dialog it won't do you much good.
    -Add Open as Layers-
    To use this action simply open all the elements you want to have in the picture, select the diffuse (usually) image and repeatedly run the script.
    Every time it runs it will add the next open image to the one that's currently active. As in the previous one it will add them in Linear Dodge.
    This action is probably the easiest to use.
    -Element Compositor-
    The third action is for those who aren't sure how to handle rendered elements. When you run it it will tell you which pictures to open, let you select the right one, and then add it as a layer with the proper blend mode. It's not as fast a method but good to learn I suppose.

The script is a bit different. In order for it to work you have to use the right filenames or at least somewhat close. (the bat file does that for you) To use it don't have a picture active and run the script. you will get a file open dialog. Select ALL the pictures and click ok. The script will recognize the names and automatically add them to a new picture with the right blend modes and in order starting with the diffuse as base.
    Note you might run into problems with the script as it's still pretty new. Thankfully Photoshop is quite foolproof so it's pretty safe but be careful just in case. You use it at your own risk

These are the elements the script supports:
    • VRayDiffuseFilter
      VRayRawLighting
      VRayGlobalIllumination
      VRayReflection
      VRayRefraction
      VRayCaustics
      VRaySpecular
      VRayBackground
      VRayAtmosphere
      Alpha

Any unsupported elements will be added with the default filename, set to Linear Dodge and hidden.

###########Changelist###########
    v0.02
    -The script now imports unrecognized elements.
    -A setting has been added to import the elements as smart layers. To use open the script in a text editor.

###########Installation###########

Put the bat file in the same folder as vrimg2exr.exe.
    Usually the "tools" folder under program files\chaos group\.
    To use it simply drop the vrimg file on top of it. you can make it easier to get to by creating a shortcut icon somewhere. I have it in the "sendto" folder in the main profile in Documents And Settings. that way you can rightclick the vrimg files and simply select Send To -> vrimg2exr

The Actions file should go in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Presets\Actions folder, and the script file should go in the Presets\Scripts folder.
    Once you restart Photoshop you can start it from the file/scripts menu.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Shimakaze; 19-04-2008, 01:56 PM.

I didnt test it yet but...
    THANKS THANKS THANKS !!!!

Comment

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who wanted this script

Comment

Originally posted by Shimakaze
        Glad to hear I'm not the only one who wanted this script
        Would be perfect if Photoshop could open vrimg directly but...

Comment

Originally posted by n6
          Would be perfect if Photoshop could open vrimg directly but...
          That's my wish too, life will be easier especially for hi-res image files larger than 1.5gb
          --Muzzy--

Comment

I've not had a chance to use it yet but wanted to say a big thank you anyway. It's very generous of you to share what sounds like a very useful tool

Thanks again,

Andy
            Thou shalt not kill clients - For they know not what they ask

www.mediastation.co.uk

Comment

Anytime
              Let me know if you all have any ideas for improvements.

Comment

is this only for CS3?

Comment

I haven't tested it for anything else. Doesn't hurt to try though I guess.

Comment

I'm probably being an idiot, but I can't seem to get the .bat file to work.

I've dropped it in the same folder as the vrimg2exr.exe file (C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\3dsmax R9 for x86\tools) but when I drag my vrimg file onto the .bat file, it gives me the message:

`vrimg2exr` is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Any ideas?
                    Thou shalt not kill clients - For they know not what they ask

www.mediastation.co.uk

Comment

Hmmm strange.
                      Which operating system do you use?

Comment

Your plugin is really useful, but would it be possible to run the script using an EXR (with all the extra channels inside) with the plugin PROEXR for CS3, and let your plugin reorder the elements inside? That would mean changing the blending modes too.
                        My Youtube VFX Channel - http://www.youtube.com/panthon
                        Sonata in motion - My first VFX short film made with VRAY. http://vimeo.com/1645673
                        Sunset Day - My upcoming VFX short: http://www.vimeo.com/2578420

Comment

Would have to create a new script for that, but sure it's possible. Not even very difficult.

Comment

Id be very interested in that script.

Also, do either of you know how to open and exr with ProExr and then change to 8/16 bit and have all the layers comp together correctly?

Comment

Here's the action I currently use for arranging EXR layers (from ProEXR)
                              It only supports the most common layers, but if you study the actions you should be able to add your own pretty easily.
                              Do note though that this uses the raw elements of the render. For instance the VRayLighting element is broken up into VRayRawLighting and VRayDiffuseFilter meaning you have to use those two and not the VRayLighting one

This is a list of the elements it supports and how to composite them manually. It's set up as you'd see it in Photoshop. with the bottom one being the base layer. Add is the same as "Linear Dodge":

VRaySpecular - Add
                              VRayBackground - Add
                              VRaySelfIllumination - Add
                              Group - Add
                              --VRayRawRefraction - Multiply
                              --VRayRefractionFilter - Normal
                              Group - Add
                              --VRayRawReflection - Multiply
                              --VRayReflectionFilter - Normal
                              Group - Add
                              --VRayRawGlobalIllumination - Multiply
                              --VRayDiffuseFilter* - Normal
                              VRayRawLighting - Multiply
                              VRayDiffuseFilter* - Normal

*yes, this layer is used twice.

These are the most basic elements of a standard CG scene. Any other elements are ignored.
                              If you were to not use the RAW elements you wouldn't need as many elements but the action doesn't support it. For reference though, here's how to composite them:
                              VRaySelfIllumination - Add
                              VRayBackground - Add
                              VRayRefraction - Add
                              VRayReflection - Add
                              VRayGlobalIllumination - Add
                              VRayLighting - Normal

sorry if this post got a bit complex. Just ask if you're wondering about something.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Shimakaze; 10-12-2007, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X