any tips for lowering ram eating when using Irr+LC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any tips for lowering ram eating when using Irr+LC

I very often got crashes when rendering scene with Irr+LC and Adaptive QMC as image sampler. Mostly it happens whan I'm setting LC over 1000. It's strange cause I know some people use even 3000 and render high detail scenes. All machines are x64 and 4Gb ram. Is there any trick to lower ram usage?
    Luke Szeflinski
    :: www.lukx.com cgi

Re: any tips for lowering ram eating when using Irr+LC

Originally posted by lukx
    I very often got crashes when rendering scene with Irr+LC and Adaptive QMC as image sampler. Mostly it happens whan I'm setting LC over 1000. It's strange cause I know some people use even 3000 and render high detail scenes. All machines are x64 and 4Gb ram. Is there any trick to lower ram usage?
    I had this problem when rendering a model out of scale. I had no clue about a solution, but it was linked to a bad scale (mostly imported from SU, masterplans drawn in mm then imported in meters)

On other well imported models, it worked perfectly with 1500+ lightcaches...

Maybe a "far from origin" issue ?
    Philippe Steels
    Pixelab - Blog - Flickr

Comment

I discovered that my overuse of IES lights was causing my systems to run of ram even at lc 500! Replaced them with max spots and everything is sweet - it renders a hell of a lot quicker too!

Comment

Lukx, are you using displacement by any chance?

That can be a real killer for LC I find. If your using 3d try switching to 2d, i often find that helps alot... depends on what your using the displacement for tho.

Comment

Lukx, if you can send a sample scene or post your settings I will be able to tell you more about it...

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

vlado,
            you are the best
            eheheh

Comment

we are idiots and only just changed to 1.5 today and up until now have always had to render with 2D displacement due to memory issues.

our machines have 2Gb ram so its a constant battle trying to keep this down. If i have 2 or more of anything its proxied and if i use evermotion objects they need to be optimised (for example).

Generally my subdivs are around 1200 but on some scenes close to the limit i go down as far as 800 just to get it to work.

I spent more time trying to get a recent job to render without crashing than it took to set it up - but its something you get used to and i know its a side effect of my methods more than anything else (imported geometry)

Comment

I was under the impression that 64 bit windows + 64 bit Max + 64 bit Vray added up to a system thats main benefit was handling large computations which are generally created by rendering trees / landscaping / displacement etc...

I seem to be back at square one - same as Paulison whereby spending alot of time simply getting the scene to render.
                www.morphic.tv
                www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

I don't think it is a memory issue, which is why I asked for the scene...

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

it's sucks badly that we got all those 64 bits sustems, processors, we can put inside pc 4GB ram or more but at the end it's for nothing because nothing really works with it.
                    Luke Szeflinski

Comment

about sending the scen, thanks Vlado but it's quite big and I'm unable to create ar4chive from it becasue I got error and colletcing all the textures , proxies will take me forever
                      Luke Szeflinski

Comment

Does anyone know why the 64bit systems aren't doing what they were meant to do ?
                        www.morphic.tv
                        www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

I guess becasue no one really care about them. It' almoust 3 years since I got windows xp x64 and there's still no x64 canon drivers for my digital camera!!!
                          Luke Szeflinski

Comment

I must admit to being really gutted about this because, a project we did a year ago must have taken a few years off my life due to the stress which was directly related to out of ram crashes.

64bit was meant to sort that and so a year on, having implemented the new system and it doesn't work properly is a bit annoying.
                            www.morphic.tv
                            www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

i also have a project thats crashing giving an unhandled exception error from backburner. I can watch it, and it wont give an error on screen just crash. Its being sent 64bit through and through and being rendered on a machine with 8 gigs of memory, and it doesn't even get to 4 gigs.

Unfortunately the scene file is just too large to send vlado, but thought I would add my example to the problem at hand.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Working...
                              X