Dongle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dongle

I got it in the mail today. It is so strange to finally have it. Now what do I do with it? I know where it goes but do I need to dl a new license? I cant remember. Can I just plug it in? Have there been issues or is everyone running theirs fine?

Thanks

I've had my dongle for some time and the documentation (from the provider - not Chaos) says to install it with the final 1.5 release when it appears (soon hopefully).

Comment

ive been using mine since i got it at siggy last year. i just plugged it in, installed vray1.5 did as the instructions asked me to and voila it worked.

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Ok see I didn't get any documentation. Nothing - just a brown package from a Mr Boris Menkov in NH. On the back it says VRAY dongle. I assume that there will come a point where the newest release will only work with the dongle. Is that what we are waiting for everyone to get the dongle so we can get the newest point release? Can I have the newest release? Please?

Comment

Newer builds still allow the Software lic scheme (at least til now :P )

Regards,
          Thorsten

Comment

Basically you reinstall V-Ray with the hardware licensing option. This will also install the dongle drivers and the new license server. After that, you plug the dongle, start the license server, and you can use V-Ray.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I just got an email from studica. That is a software store here in canada. They sent me a link to their website wher i can buy the dongle for $40 canadian. Now i ordered mine one year ago already. I just built my new comp and i have to install vray on it now. What's the best way to go? Buy it from them or wait for a new license from chaos and also wait for the ordered dongle???

Ingo

Comment

Do we have to request a license from Chaos or will it work immediately upon installation? I can't afford to be down right now.

Comment

Originally posted by TRGraphics
                  Do we have to request a license from Chaos or will it work immediately upon installation? I can't afford to be down right now.
                  You mean with a dongle? If so then no request needed you are good to go, You may need to uninstall vray and install with the dongle option, depends what version and cgauth you have.
                  Eric Boer
                  Dev

Comment

Originally posted by ingo
                    I just got an email from studica. That is a software store here in canada. They sent me a link to their website wher i can buy the dongle for $40 canadian. Now i ordered mine one year ago already. I just built my new comp and i have to install vray on it now. What's the best way to go? Buy it from them or wait for a new license from chaos and also wait for the ordered dongle???
                    Ingo
                    The order that you placed last year has been passed on to your reseller, so that is the only way you can get the dongle.
                    Surreal Structures
                    http://surrealstructures.com/blog

Comment

Aha that is interesting...
                      Thanks Frances

Comment

i still cant believe there is actually another dongle post lol

---------------------------------------------------
                        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Da_elf
                          i still cant believe there is actually another dongle post lol
                          Because someone had a question maybe?

For the record, I think Chaos should have waited until the next paid upgrade to implement dongles. That way people wouldn't feel like they were required to pay additionally for software they've already bought.

Originally, the dongles were going to be required to run 1.5. Then with the delays of shipping, etc., it became optional. Since it's optional, I passed on the deal. And my reseller was only charging for the shipping. It sounds like Ingo's reseller is looking to turn a little profit on the deal.
                          Surreal Structures
                          http://surrealstructures.com/blog

Comment

Yeah they should NOT be charging for the dongles. I would suggest not paying for them (other than possibly shipping) and contact chaosgroup regarding the dongle as your reseller should not be "selling" them.

Comment

A dongle will be required to run the final 1.5 version of V-Ray; a software license will be provided only if there is absolutely no other way to get it working.

While the dongle itself is free, resellers might choose to charge a certain amount for shipping and handling, which there is unfortunately, no way to avoid.

Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                              X