Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Details blockiness using HDRI only...

Hi all,
    I am having major problems with a scene lit just by HDRI.
    I am using IRMAP+QMC, hi quality preset, -6/-4, samples set to 15 for QMC GI, averall subdivisions to 3...

I have hemisph samples to 80 / 30.

Now, the images look good overall, except for the louvers.

Louvers, small planes few inches apart, will render with black splatches.
    I know it is about low samples somewhere, but cannot find the right settings.

I tried incresing the irrmap passes, to -5/-3, but it just makes the splotches smaller, and rendering time too high.

I tried the detail enhancement feature, which works, but renders 10x slower, just too slow.

I even tried to take the louvers material out of the GI calculation, and add a dirt map to simulate GI, but of course, there is no direct light into the scene, so the louvers render black....

I increased the sampling for the QMC GI to 20, still no good enough.

How do I improve the quality of such small geometry areas?

I had to increase the irramap interpolation samples, which blurred out the splotches some, but still....

MAX9, RC4,
    Thanks for any idea,

regards

gio

You could always do a crop render of that area at high quality with much higher settings saving it to disk, then render your normal IRmap and merge them together.

Comment

Originally posted by cubiclegangster
      You could always do a crop render of that area at high quality with much higher settings saving it to disk, then render your normal IRmap and merge them together.
      Yea, I have not tried that, but I am sure it would work, althought it would require manual setups and PS job...

You would think that between IRRMAP and QMC GI there would be a way to tell Vray to use more samples for specific geometric conditions, such as small slats...

Anyways....

thank you

regards

gio

Comment

Working...
      X