Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange distribution?

Hi!

I was just wondering why I get "clusters" of samples on a smooth one color surface, why isn't there an even distribution of samples. Is there some setting that is wrong or is this normal?
    se pic. http://www.svenskdesignab.se/samples.jpg

Regards
    /Tobias

probably because u calc that irmap in DR mode...?
    Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
    nuno@ene-digital.com
    00351 917593145

Comment

Oh, so thats what makes it look strange, will this make the final image look bad in comparison with a non DR render?

/Tobias

Comment

i am not sure, but i ve retained the idea that calculating irmap and Lc localy would always be safe-proof.
        but now that u are at it maybe u could run a quick test?
        Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
        nuno@ene-digital.com
        00351 917593145

Comment

Yep, I will do some testing tomorrow on a smaller image, this one is over 4100 pixels wide.

/Tobias

Comment

Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
            nuno@ene-digital.com
            00351 917593145

Comment

Also, you will get such "clumping" if your hemispheric subdivs are too low and your color threshold for the irradiance map is too low.

In that case, the samples will be noisy and with a lot of variation, and the irradiance map engine will think that there is a shadow there which needs to be sampled more.

A solution would be to either increase the color threshold, or to make the irradiance map samples less noisy (by increasing the hemispheric subdivs, or decreasing the DMC noise threshold, or both).

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks!

feels like my head is spinning from all this increasing and decreasing

Comment

Working...
                X