Roughness Curiosity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roughness Curiosity

Apart from a measure of one's hangover, can anyone explain what the roughness parameter of the vraymaterial does?

I have read the manual (quoted below), and looked at the teapot examples but I'm still not quite sure when I would use it...

"Rougness - this parameter can be used to simulate rough surfaces or surfaces covered with dust (for example, skin, or the surface of the Moon). "

Anyone have any good examples of it in action, or good tips on what types of materials its useful for?
    www.peterguthrie.net
    www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
    www.pg-skies.net/

I second that.
    It's not very clear for me too...
    Gael

Comment

I think this is pretty obvious. You can use it for rough surfaces. For example a clay pot. IF you're familiar with the old max oren-nayar shader's roughness parameter, it's pretty much the same I think.

By the way, when I saw it, first, I thought it was a global control for shader roughness affecting the glossiness of everything. Which also would be quite evident imo.

best regards,

A.
      Last edited by Aldaryn; 04-12-2007, 07:26 AM.
      credit for avatar goes here

Comment

Originally posted by Aldaryn View Post
        By the way, when I saw it, first, I thought it was a global control for shader roughness affecting the glossiness of everything. Which also would be quite evident imo.
        And somewhat more usefull imo!
        Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
        nuno@ene-digital.com
        00351 917593145

Comment

Yes, I suppose if we would wanted to stick to a more realistic shader model, a global "roughness" parameter would be the rational choice, but than, I think people would just want to have separated control back.

best regards,

A.
          credit for avatar goes here

Comment

yep...thought so as soon as i pressed submit reply!
            Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
            nuno@ene-digital.com
            00351 917593145

Comment

thanks for the reply Aldaryn. So other practical uses for this would be white plaster walls, concrete, rubber etc?
              www.peterguthrie.net
              www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
              www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

haven't really used it myself, but here's a comparison of how the same three teapots would look in one way and the other:

Comment

Ive used it to nice effect on a lunar surface.

Made the surface loose the CG look and really start to look dusty.

Comment

Is there any performance hit usinng roughness?
                    Patrick Macdonald
                    Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

I know this is quite an old thread, but are many people using this 'roughness' control? I was wondering how it scales to a scene?
                      Kind Regards,
                      Richard Birket
                      ----------------------------------->
                      http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

An old thread again, but there still doesn't seem to be an answer.

Comment

It has no relation to the scene scale; it just controls the way the surface reflects (direct) light.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                          X