vray mtl...map...environment category

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray mtl...map...environment category

In the vray mtl undr maps there are 16 map categories. the last is environment. The online help doesn't address it. What does it do, how does it work with the rest of the scene?
    mh

It basically does the same thing the environment map slot does for the old raytrace material. It allows you to have a specific environmental reflection map.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

if i create a box, assign a vray mtl to it, place a map in the environment slot and render, i see no evidence of the map...the box looks the same with the environment slot checked or unchecked. I must be missing something here.
      mh

Comment

well it needs to be reflective. It's basically a local override of the global reflection and refraction overrides

Regards,
        Thorsten

Comment

Originally posted by instinct View Post
          well it needs to be reflective. It's basically a local override of the global reflection and refraction overrides

Regards,
          Thorsten
          i had tried that an still saw no evidence of the map.
          mh

Comment

works fine here. It wont work if your object isn't visible to the environment. in other words, it can't be inside of another object, like a room.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

nope, its a box out side with a single vray sun and vray sky. I wonder what i'm doing wrong. Seems like it should be simple but i get no evidence of the map.
              mh

Comment

i got it finally...although it wasn't what i was expecting...i switched out the map for another one and could finally see a very slight change. Thanks for the help.
                mh

Comment

If you're using a physcam, you may need to boost the environment map if it's not hdr in nature, and especially if you exposed for the sun intensity.
                  Lele
                  Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                  ----------------------
                  emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                  The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                  X