Basics of Rendering in Vray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuzzpopfx View Post
    My whole point was vray's over-complexity of stuff by trying to follow physically accurate models. Give me a renderer that just makes features available in a straight-forward manner without requiring you to work within some kind of hindering bounds.
    Some of the algorithms and optimizations that V-Ray uses require materials and lights to behave in a physically accurate way (e.g. the light cache, path tracing, photon-mapped caustics, combined sampling of specular highlights and glossy reflections of lights etc). These will not work if the materials and lights do not follow physical laws.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzpopfx View Post
      Yeah actually, I am. All of these renderers with their "physical accuracy" are a joke. My whole point was vray's over-complexity of stuff by trying to follow physically accurate models. Give me a renderer that just makes features available in a straight-forward manner without requiring you to work within some kind of hindering bounds.
      Your concept of a perfect render engine seems to me a bit of a paradox. If you were actually given a button "make pretty rendering," how hindering is that? You are given no control of the output so how can you even call the resultant artwork your own? Now on the other end of the spectrum, traditional hand-rendering is bounded only by your skill, which makes the medium infinitely less hindering but at the same time infinitely more complex.

I personally feel that VRay sits very well as a happy medium in this scenario. You don't have to put a lot of time and effort in to get a good result, but there is a great amount of potential to be unlocked if you have the desire and patience.
      Ben Steinert
      pb2ae.com

Comment

Personally I think you've all fed the troll enough.
        We all know how much time and effort we put into learning our tools, and obviously this is going to be a daunting task for newcomers, but material presets are only "good" for a short time (A bit like peeing your pants to keep warm), then you need to customize them all the time.
        I'd actually like the possibility to add a "viewing only" sub set of features to the vray materials, so one could add non physically accurate things, that look great, but don't mess up the calculations (like edge translucency\rim effects, and more specular controls). These would maybe pose a problem when seen in\through reflections\refractions, but in most cases they should be pretty safe.
        Anyway, back to the topic. There is no point in trying to talk sense to the OP, as he clearly shows rather limited knowledge on these matters. He might come to his senses in a few years though
        Signing out,
        Christian

Comment

Originally posted by trixian View Post
          material presets are only "good" for a short time (A bit like peeing your pants to keep warm), then you need to customize them all the time.
          Are you going on about your post-pee pants there?

Anyway...

Originally posted by fuzzpopfx
          Give me a renderer that just makes features available in a straight-forward manner without requiring you to work within some kind of hindering bounds.
          Having features available in a straight-forward manner is inherently hindering. As has been said, to just plug in and go would result in the question of who is actually producing the work, let alone allowing oneself a moment of self-congratulation for a job well done.

Oh yeah, long-time reader, first time poster and all that...

Comment

Working...
          X