Question about LWF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about LWF

Seeing as how many people are trying to follow LWF, I am thinking of adding an option to V-Ray color mapping section to automatically apply the inverse gamma correction specified there to the relevant values of VRayMtl (e.g. the diffuse color) during the rendering, so as to avoid using hosts of ColorCorrect maps and such for this purpose.

Do you have any specific wishes/recommendations in that regard?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

yes please...very usfull

infact.. under colour mapping where we can adjust the Gamma, it would be handy to have an inverse gamma controler for the textures.
    mdi-digital.com

Comment

Well, I was thinking of locking the inverse gamma correction to the output gamma option. Is there any case where you would them to be different?

Best regards,
      Vlado

Comment

my output gamma is always 1 as per Lele's great (and sometimes confusing) tutorial. I dont know what the gamma setting in the Vray color map is suppose to do or when I'm suppose to use it. I leave that as deafult usually.

I'm still not getting the results I'm suppose to with LWF. I start a project and finish it with LWF, but then after rendering for the 10th time I dont get the results I want and end up using the old way of doing things.

However, I still try everytime to use LWF, since according to the forum users here, and a poll you did, LWF is the way to go for faster and better looking renders. I'm not there yet, but not giving up on the idea either.

Edit:
        Hmm I just now noticed Vlado is talking about the Color mapping and not VRayColor.. sorry about that.
        Last edited by Morne; 02-03-2008, 08:27 AM.
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

2 vlado : maybe some wizard to make lwf right in some steps like setup light in lightscape

Comment

This would all be instead of using the Max LUT settings to gamma correct input pictures and such?
            Do you mean like if color mapping is set to gamma 2.2 then a inverse 2.2 curve is applied to all color swatches and pictures etc? And a 1.5 value applies inverse 1.5 and so on?
            If so remember that you don't always want the final image to be brought back into sRGB space until after having finished editing it in post so you should be able to apply the inverse gamma to the maps without color mapping the final image to 2.2 again... Especially for EXR files.

Man this is making my head hurt...

Comment

Well, I'm still thinking about it; not quite sure 100% percent about things (which is why I don't quite like the whole gamma concept).

Anyways, 3ds Max gamma setting does not directly modify color swatches, only texture maps (but then again, not all texture maps need to be modified - e.g. displacement and bump map textures).

As for keeping the resuilt in linear space, this is what the "Don't affect colors" option is for, so no problem there.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Thumbs up from me, Ill have a think about some options you could include.

Comment

would be very handy if i don't have to put an vraycolor map on every diffusecolor i use.
                  hope you can also create it so the material browser displays it correct (gamma corrected)

would that settings also gamme correct color swatched such as reflection/refraction values?
                  My Homepage : http://www.pixelstudio.nl

Comment

Yes please. As long as inverse gamma correction for swatches is a separate option from correction for textures.
                    "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                      3ds Max gamma setting does not directly modify color swatches, only texture maps (but then again, not all texture maps need to be modified - e.g. displacement and bump map textures).
                      I think VIZ differs from MAX in this regard...not that it will matter here in a few weeks
                      Last edited by beestee; 03-03-2008, 07:50 AM.
                      Ben Steinert
                      pb2ae.com

Comment

3ds Max and VIZ only change the display of the color swatches, not the color values as such...

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

If there was a quicker way to add the inverse gamma to a diffuse color I would be very happy.

Comment

Vray needs to ship with a physical swatch of color, 50% gray lets say. And then when you render you can put that color swatch up to the monitor and see if its right.

Comment

You have the VRayColor texture which does exactly that.

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Working...
                              X