Making a translucent glowing object

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a translucent glowing object

I'm pretty new to Vray and was looking for any input or tuts on how to make a translucent object glow. The object is a bar countertop in a restaurant...the rest of the bar will be dimly lit with the bar countertop glowing as the main focus. The material is a translucent stone, about 1.5" thick. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A two sided vray material to have the light shine through, and a nice glow added in post should do the trick.

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R...vray2sided.htm

Hope it helps.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Yes, that's it! Thanks much

Comment

Birdsman, can you post an image of what your doing? I have something similiar coming up.

Comment

I've done a few of those and it works great. Sometimes it does take very long to render.

Even though I use this often I don't understand why we need the double sided material in the first place. Why doesn't the normal vraymtl just work correctly. If you have a glass object or fabric object or whatever (like a lampshade) why cant you just put a light inside it works as expected. I'm confused as to why vrmtl cant do this and we need an additional thing like double sided.
          Somebody please explain this to me.
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

VRayMtl can do this using its sub-surface scattering options, but you need an object with an actual volume. This simulates the physical scattering of light inside the objects, which tends to be slow. For the special case of thin translucent objects, this can be done much faster using a VRay2SidedMtl material.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

yeah VRayMtl + sss is a way to do this I made. lamp is made from a picture i used for reference..

hope yu like it.. and is a good example, maby I will post my material in vray materials..
              Attached Files
              Best regards,
              Andrian

Comment

Originally posted by Fekta.studio View Post
                yeah VRayMtl + sss is a way to do this I made. lamp is made from a picture i used for reference..

hope yu like it.. and is a good example, maby I will post my material in vray materials..
                It looks like it could have been easily done with just the 2sidedmtl and without all of the trouble of sss. Just my opinion though.
                www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Working...
                X