vista sp1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
    I dont with 3d/arty stuff, i was using it at home for ages.

But NEVER get vista if you like to make music on your pc. the second you try to get a bit creative with software/plugins or add hardware it'll bite you in the ass.

that's interesting, because i'm playing around with music software too.
    i tried ableton live, NI kontakt, stylus rmx, and a bunch of vst plugins, they all work 100% right with vista64, as with winxp.

one thing that doesn't work of course is my old m-audio delta card, because there are no 64bit drivers for it. the presonus firebox got drivers, but the latency is higher than i'm used to on winxp.
    the indexing service (and probably others too...superfetch, etc..) is causing pops&clicks, as expected. background hd activity and realtime DSP doesn't mix well.

but from the OS side i see no problem, i blame bad performance on the half-baked 64bit hardware drivers. but i'm still in the testing phase.

i'm pretty positive that for music making and realtime audio processing, vista 32 behaves just like winxp, but switching from xp to vista 32 wouldn't make much sense, of course.
    Marc Lorenz
    ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
    www.marclorenz.com
    www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

I installed it on all just a week agao computers. You can download the whole Update it distribute it.
      It changes in my point of view near to nothing. Well Vista starts a little bit faster...

Comment

Just FYI - another vote for SP1 being worth it. Installed SP1 on both my Vista 64 boxes, no issues so far, and fixed a few nags.

Comment

is anyone running nvidia raid boards with SP1? we've been hanging off installing quicktime because it corrupts the raids, but wondered if SP1 had fixed it. (there's been so many conflicting fixes, we've just steered clear of QT for the moment on these machines)
          Digital Progression

Comment

Originally posted by DP View Post
            is anyone running nvidia raid boards with SP1? we've been hanging off installing quicktime because it corrupts the raids, but wondered if SP1 had fixed it. (there's been so many conflicting fixes, we've just steered clear of QT for the moment on these machines)
            yes. the quicktime-raid thing is realy scary. I uninstalled quicktime to only use the codecpack. and it works OK..
            Daniel Westlund

Comment

Installed SP1 the other day on my workstation and the Network transfer rate between this unit and my NAS went up to 40Mo/s It was 12Mo/s before. Apparently due to the new SMB2 protocol...
              Philippe Steels
              Pixelab - Blog - Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelab View Post
                Installed SP1 the other day on my workstation and the Network transfer rate between this unit and my NAS went up to 40Mo/s It was 12Mo/s before. Apparently due to the new SMB2 protocol...
                wow really, hmm then i have to update.... it ill be quite usefull for RT testing....
                Best regards,
                Andrian

Comment

viewport display

guys i used max 9 sp2 with productivity booster, vray sp1 in vista 64 sp1, but the viewport display seem more heavy, not as interactive in xp and it refresh a lot specially with heavy scenes. is there someone who have same problems, any clue to solve this, I used xfx geforce fx 8800gt, dual xeon Quadcore 2,4ghz. ram 8gb.

thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelab View Post
                    Workstation with Vista x64 since 3-4 month here, MAX 7, CS2 suite, DR BB etc. No problem at all except that it doesn't support a 10 years old laser printer...

The only big issue is that OpenGL is not really supported (emulated trough Direct3D if I red well) but who does still use opengl in max anyway ?

SP integrates the cumulative updates, so no need to get it if you already have vista I think (and if you did let it make his updates)
                    How did you get max7 to work with vista x64 ... tot not even max8.0 could do that!
                    Studio Max 2009 x64
                    X5000 Chipset | Dual Core Intel 5140 | 4G RAM | Nvidia FX3450 drv 6.14.10.9185

Comment

Originally posted by victor.nsy View Post
                      How did you get max7 to work with vista x64 ... tot not even max8.0 could do that!
                      Or Max 9!

There's a workaround to get Max 9 to work on Vista, it might also work for Max 7/8 as well.

I can't remember the exact steps but it involves turning off 'dynamic display' or something under the launch icon properties and running it as a Windows XP SP 2 programme. Also you have to run it as an administrator.

I get some sort of DirectX error when I start it up but it otherwise seems to work ok.

Comment

Working...
                      X