Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Edge shader question

Hi all,
    I am using the vray edge map with some success to render metal panels and such.
    If I build my geometry as separate adjacent squares, the vray edge allows me to render thin lines between the panels with no need for an actual gap.

Again this works except for the edges which are at the end of the wall/panel, against some other geometry, or the sky. I get the line on such edges as well, which is not deisrable, sometimes.

Is there any way to configure the vray edges to render the edge only for adjacent faces, of the same material?
    Or could this be a future feature?

Basically it would be a kind of object outline shader, but reversed, to leave the outlines not rendered with edges.

thank you

regards

gio

I think you can try to play with smoothing groups to prevent smoothing of faces you don't want.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

vlado, I think you accidentally gave me a good tip!

You are probably thinking I am using the edge shader in the BUMP of the material, to get filleted edges...which is a GREAT IDEA!

I will try that, I may be able to get the lines I need between panels and avoid the lines at the edge of the material, like against the sky...

Thank you

regards

gio

Comment

Ah, you were not using it as bump In that case, simply put it inside an Output map and use its "Invert" option.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

The filleted edges do work nicely but only using direct lights...With GI the gap between panels completely disappears...That is, the bump effect does not really work with GI.

I am not sure what an Output map is, I will investigate that next...

thank you

regards

gio

Comment

Working...
          X