Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to save .hdr image without overexposure

Hello all,

I've read through the forums and various posts, and my question has almost been answered but I'm not quite there. Here's my dilemma:

First, all my settings are basic, I have no adjusted gamma settings. I am not working in LWF yet.

When I render an image out like a .tiff or .jpg, it of course opens fine in photoshop. When I render an image out to .hdr it opens in photoshop overexposed, even though it looks fine in max when it's initially rendered. Now in photoshop this can be adjusted through the exposure settings. My question is:

How do I render/save out an .hdr image that will come in normally to photoshop just like any other image?
    (note: when saving as an .hdr it gives you two options, I save as unclamped output)

In VFB I can save as .exr, but the deal is, I am just doing the 3D work, while another studio handles the post production and they need the images to be .hdr (32-bit floating point) format.

Thanks.
    --------------------------------------
    www.lemusdesign.com

I'm no expert, but I think you are fine as is. What you are talking about is not over-exposure per se, but the display gamma of the file. Giving them a .hdr file mean no gamma is burned in, so if they don't want the hassle of adding a gamma correction for converting to 8bit, or for display, then just give them an .exr file instead. That will display with gamma correction in Photosop, but the actual image data is the same as the .hdr

I'm sure others with more experience will add in on this or correct me if I am wrong, but you should be okay.

b
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

i had this problem a year ago, it changed when i started to use .EXR instead of HDR .
      EXR opened in any program will give u the right exposure .
      www.kobo9.ch

Comment

I almost would have said it didn't work, but I saved the .exr with MFB, so that's my fault

I did a test last night using VFB and it saves as a .vrimg. I then convert it to .exr using vray's tool converter. Initially it still comes in with the gamma washed out. In converting it, I have to set the gamma to 2.2 so it then opens correctly in photoshop.

Is that the correct way of going about it? Does that sound right?

Thanks again!
        --------------------------------------
        www.lemusdesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by Intenzity View Post
          I almost would have said it didn't work, but I saved the .exr with MFB, so that's my fault

I did a test last night using VFB and it saves as a .vrimg. I then convert it to .exr using vray's tool converter. Initially it still comes in with the gamma washed out. In converting it, I have to set the gamma to 2.2 so it then opens correctly in photoshop.

Is that the correct way of going about it? Does that sound right?

Thanks again!
          You could just save a .exr right out of the VFB - there's no need to go to the .vrimg file unless you need that for something else. Opening in Pshop should be fine without any further gamma correction needed.

b
          Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
          e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

I always have the same problem with exr too. I guess photoshop is guessing what gamma the image is in, and always guesses wrong. When opening an exr with picturenaut, sometimes it displays it correctly, sometimes not. Pretty annoying to always having to apply an inverse gamma...

It's the same in after effects, I have to turn of some setting in the file preference to get it to display the exr correctly.

Think you will just have to live with it
            Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Working...
            X