Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDRI: Dome Light or Env map?

Hi All,

I'm playing around with HDRI's for exterior scenes, using the new free sample from http://www.hdri-locations.com.

I was wondering which method would be the prefered for setting up the HDRI lighting. I have done some tests, brute force and LC, Fixed 8 AA, dome light or Env. map slot with VrayHDRI map.

The render times seem to indicate that the Env.map is quicker, but the image quality is much cleaner with the same setting on the Dome light version (with a longer render time! but only a bit longer). Of course the quality is better due to the longer render time, I'm not sure which would be the preferred solution, and for what reason.

Anybody got a preferred method?

Cheers
    Attached Files

I never use HDRI to lit my scenes, I only use hdri for very crisp and visible reflections used in car commercials, jewellery's,... In most cases I match the environment with vraylights and vraylightmaterials. In postproduction I match the colors with the backplate. Results in much less rendertime and hdri setup (shooting, editing...)

Your images are very reflective, so your color on your objects comes almost 100% from reflections + the floor you've put in. You don't even need hdri to lit your scene.
    Last edited by AXONN; 10-11-2008, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks Luce, I agree the HDRI is not really needed for the lighting, only the reflections (in this scene)

I also don't normally use HDRI, preferring to use the Vray Sun/Sky/Phsy Cam option, and only using HDRI or other Env maps for reflections. But I wanted mainly to find out if the Dome light or Env map option was better.

Comment

they really give different result, environment and dome light that is. the vray dome light does what it's called importance sampling over the hdr texture, which means it can cast actual shadows from very bright areas of the image, and supports caustics. it'll always give you a much cleaner and much more precise solution than the environment with the same hdr map.

Comment

Thanks rivoli

I was seeing better shadows with the Dome light, so that makes sense.

I would be interested in what method others use.

Comment

Working...
          X