Is Vray better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gunny263 View Post
    it won’t stand up in court (not in the US anyway) as a scientifically accurate and verifiable method regardless of how nice the image looks
    Forensics and courts do not really strike me as being the two edges of 3D development, tbh.
    Agi32 is correct?
    How, if "Textures are considered in calculations when applied in AGi32. The average color and reflectance of the texture is calculated and used in the Radiosity calculations. Turning the textures on or off in Render mode only effects the texture visibility not the calculations" (http://onlinehelp.agi32.com/WebHelp/AGI32-v2dot0.htm)
    The fact that there has been some deal at some point on STANDARDS to be used in certain fields, doesn't mean that those standards are actual, and cutting edge, to this day.
    I will remain in disbelief about this "accuracy" thing until proven (with data, ofc) quite clearly otherwise.

Gunny, Frantic Winnipeg people, or LA/Van?

<- post number 666! who's your Devil now!
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
      <- post number 666! who's your Devil now!
      Ok Satan, so since we have completely corrupted this thread, and the likely hood of me completely buying your point of view or you buying mine is around zero, I think we should seriously consider John's (gunny263) point of view and settle this at Siggraph this year. These are my rules, I will buy the first round, you the second...... and the person that is CAN walk away loses the argument. We can have gunny263 judge, in fact he has judged several of my drinking competitions, I think, as I doubt I would have remembered anyway?
      Peace out!
      Darin
      Last edited by animagic; 16-01-2009, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Test

I have managed to produce an image why Vray which I feel is sharper, brighter and overall has a cleaner feel that the mr render does. Even with displacement on grass I have a render time of 5:25 at 1600x900, while the mr is at 7:28. The mr render does not have displacement but has a normal map on the grass which looks nearly identical to the Vray displaced. I was unable to reproduce that effect with Vray but the render was still 2 minutes faster and much better looking as myself and some of the other designers agreed. So far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by animagic View Post

(BTW lightscape can produce high bit depth image 24/48 bit tiff, but does NOT have any kind of linear work flow or physical camera Just the magic "brightness" and "contrast" button
          Lightscape was way ahead of its time in a number of ways - As was Dr Greenberg and the facility at Cornell University which arguably gave birth to computer graphics. It was never an accurate simulator of light however with Radiance being used in engineering circles at the time and LS providing a convenient colour grading display to represent rough values.

I have often fantasized about some of the marvels that would have emerged from our industry if Amiga had been a success, or Lightscape was developed. As it is we are owned by microsoft and autodesk leaving the likes of ChaosGroup as diamonds in the rough.....

Imagine we'd have fully rendered realtime models by now - a vlado greenberg sandwich!

................as for comparing MR and Vray.............whats the point in that. energy spent better elsewhere!
          Immersive media - design and production
          http://www.felixdodd.com/
          https://www.linkedin.com/in/felixdodd/

Comment

Working...
          X