Vray displacement is noisy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray displacement is noisy.

Noisy displacement. It just renders noisy no matter what I try! I need it to look nice and smooth like the edges of the bottle you can see in the render. Any help much appreciated.

Im using 3d-mapping (vray displacement modifier) with a bitmap in the texmap slot. Changing the displacement parameters does not favourably change the results. There is no blurred reflection or refraction in the material setting.

Thanks,
    Tom.
    Attached Files
    Tom Livings.
    INFXstudio.com/

i wouldn't trust the reflections/refractions in your pic, they could also be a bit noisy. first, check the displacement with a simple material without raytracing and a simple light setting.

is filter_texmap enabled? filter_blur can also smooth things out and decrease rendertimes. is the bitmap really smooth? i'd stick to 2D displacement in this case.

what settings for the dispmap are you using?

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will test with simple lights and a non-refr/refl material. Here are the disp settings.
      Attached Files
      Tom Livings.
      INFXstudio.com/

Comment

maybe try bitmap with 16-bit depth?
        and 2d displacement?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy L View Post
          Noisy displacement. It just renders noisy no matter what I try! I need it to look nice and smooth like the edges of the bottle you can see in the render. Any help much appreciated.

Im using 3d-mapping (vray displacement modifier) with a bitmap in the texmap slot. Changing the displacement parameters does not favourably change the results. There is no blurred reflection or refraction in the material setting.

Thanks,
          Tom.
          The displacement texture seems to be not quite right; you can either try using a 16-bit texture, or else blur this one a little bit by increasing the blur offset parameter. Also, do not use JPG files for displacements, as the lossy compression causes a lot of artifacts.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks guys!
            Kind of cobbled it together in the end. Got rid of most of the noise, then changed the AA filter to 'soft'. The resulting soft noise gave it a very glassy appearance.
            Attached Files
            Tom Livings.
            INFXstudio.com/

Comment

quick tests

Best one:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	best.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	855404

Bit deph changed:

Name:	8_bit.jpg
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	855403

Same as best one but blur offset changed:

Name:	blur_offset.jpg
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	855402
              Last edited by Mnietek2707; 23-02-2015, 07:53 AM. Reason: relinked images

Comment

Next time you could also try using the VrayBitmapFilter to load your map rather than the Max bitmap. It solves some of the roughness problems as well.

Nice light on that type btw

b
                Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. Im not finding I have the same noise impact with 16bit TIFF vs JPEG.
                  Anyway, this job is for a pitch and I dont think it will go any further. If it does, you can be sure Ill be back asking more questions on this topic!
                  Thanks again,
                  Tom.
                  Tom Livings.
                  INFXstudio.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X