Latest on SP3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello,

got max2009 design and still have some trouble with material editor open and vray frame buffer disapearing when rendering...
    seems ok when material editor is closed

i seem to remember there has been some issues with that with sp2...

Comment

• any docs about the function of the new lwf button?
      max 9 + vray

Comment

• Originally posted by bluescreen2 View Post
        any docs about the function of the new lwf button?
        I've had a quick play, and I'm not 100% sure I'm either using it correctly, or its not working!

I think there needs to be more info in the help doc as to how 3ds max needs to be set up for this to work correctly.

The playing continues!!

Comment

• is the ambient occlusion in the GI similar to "multiplying" the image with a general vraydirt material (like i used to do it before to get some more detail) ?
          wouldn't be interesting to have a "falloff" control on the GI AO ?
          Last edited by muoto; 06-03-2009, 02:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by muoto View Post
            is the ambient occlusion in the GI similar to "multiplying" the image with a general vraydirt material (like i used to do it before to get some more detail) ?
            wouldn't be interesting to have a "falloff" control on the GI AO ?
            Yeah basically. If you need further control, you're better off doing it with extratex (which respects transparency now!).

Comment

• Originally posted by muoto View Post
              is the ambient occlusion in the GI similar to "multiplying" the image with a general vraydirt material (like i used to do it before to get some more detail) ?
              Not completely; it only affects the global illumination portion of the image. Other components (direct lighting, reflections, refractions) are not affected by the global ambient occlusion.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Originally posted by duke2 View Post
                Yeah basically. If you need further control, you're better off doing it with extratex (which respects transparency now!).
                extratex ? huh ? what's that ?

edit: OK renderelements...never saw that option before
                Last edited by muoto; 06-03-2009, 03:07 AM.

Comment

The help files does have some info on it. basically it works the same was as the Input Gamma setting in the Max Gamma/Lut options.

Let's say you have a bunch of pictures that is not linear space. Usually you would use the Input Gamma (by setting it to 2.2) to make them linear. The problem is using that option does it to all images including displacements and other maps you don't want it to affect. Also it only works on bitmaps.
                  Using the LWF button works like this:
                  Set Gamma to 2.2. Either check the "Don't Affect Colors" option if you want to render out in linear space, or don't if you wanna render straight to sRGB space. Now, when you use the LWF button all color swatches and bitmaps gets a "inverse" of the gamma you entered applied to them. BUT this only seems to work for VRay Materials and not for standard Max materials.........

Oh and one of my favorite SP3 features... Z-Depth supports transparency too!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shimakaze View Post
                    The help files does have some info on it. basically it works the same was as the Input Gamma setting in the Max Gamma/Lut options.

Let's say you have a bunch of pictures that is not linear space. Usually you would use the Input Gamma (by setting it to 2.2) to make them linear. The problem is using that option does it to all images including displacements and other maps you don't want it to affect. Also it only works on bitmaps.
                    Using the LWF button works like this:
                    Set Gamma to 2.2. Either check the "Don't Affect Colors" option if you want to render out in linear space, or don't if you wanna render straight to sRGB space. Now, when you use the LWF button all color swatches and bitmaps gets a "inverse" of the gamma you entered applied to them. BUT this only seems to work for VRay Materials and not for standard Max materials.........

Oh and one of my favorite SP3 features... Z-Depth supports transparency too!!!!!!

So now its better not to use Input Gamma set to 2.2 , just use LWF button ?
                    Best regards,
                    Andrian

Comment

• The "Linear workflow" option is intended to be used only for quickly converting old scenes which are not set up with proper linear workflow in mind. This option is not a replacement for proper linear workflow, which you should use whenever possible.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

• vlado...I'm not sure..but in the IRRmap modes documentation you've left that incremental modes are not supported by DR but in the changelog file you've written that this is solved.

Am I right??

Comment

• Originally posted by Fekta.studio View Post
                          So now its better not to use Input Gamma set to 2.2 , just use LWF button ?
                          Well the best way is to not use either... Either make sure all your textures are in linear space to begin with or specify their gamma when you import them.
                          Whenever you add an image, you can change the gamma in the open file dialog box. if you choose "override" and put in 2.2 then you get the same effect as if you did it globally on all pictures.

Comment

• Originally posted by bardo View Post
                            vlado...I'm not sure..but in the IRRmap modes documentation you've left that incremental modes are not supported by DR but in the changelog file you've written that this is solved.
                            It is solved, yes. Thanks for the pointer - I've updated the help index now. I remember updating this in a few places, but apparently I missed these.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

LWF button??

where would one find such a thing?

thanks.

Comment

• it's in the colour mapping rollout, not really a button rather a tick box. just below don't affect colours.

Comment

Working...
                                X