Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vRay Environmental Fog - fallof problem

Hi,
    I have problem with vRay Fog: How to apply falloff for sphere gizmo (density on the edge)?
    Attached Files
    www.luminancestudio.pl

You can use a Falloff map in distance blend mode from the gizmo.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlad! Working good!
      www.luminancestudio.pl

Comment

I've tried to replicate this but I don't know where to find that "distance blend" Vlado refers there. Is it the density texture slot?

Thanks

Comment

Vlado means put a falloff map - set to distance blend - in the density slot of the fog.
          MDI Digital
          moonjam

Comment

I have two follow on questions :

1.When apply the distant blend what mapping type should you use say for a sphere ?
            2.If you are creating lets say a cloud and are using the distance map to control the density how do you do also create a rough edged cloud shape

If anybody has some nice cloud examples with settings they'd care to share, I'd love to see them

Thanks as always

Adam

Comment

There are some examples in the help index, but I suppose you have already seen those:
              http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150S...entfog.htm#ex4

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                There are some examples in the help index, but I suppose you have already seen those:
                http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150S...entfog.htm#ex4

Best regards,
                Vlado
                ooh, I wish these scenes were max9!

Comment

Thanks for the reminder, I saw these examples while back but completely forgot about them, tehre also seems to be better examples now, I'll spend a bit of time and got through these to get a handle on what I'm doing - I so often go off half cocked with my experimentation, I suppose the best thing to do is to recreate them and go through one by one - of course if they where already created for me somewhere in max 9 ... nah that would be too easy

I'll get my receptionist to hold all my calls - I've a fun afternoon ahead of me :]

Comment

not to sure if this is the best place for general environmental fog questions but can two fogs interact. for instance, if i do some clouds with the fog. then use another fog just for haze. would i get to see the "god rays" or whatever other people call them (the volumetric light) shinning through the breaks in the clouds?

---------------------------------------------------
                    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Currently two atmospherics will not blend properly; we will be working on this for the next builds. It may be possible to achieve this with suitable textures, but it would be quite tricky.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

i guess some form of a gradient to seperate the lower level fog from the upper level clouds might work

---------------------------------------------------
                        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Back to the "Rough edges" question, is there a way to get this, Afterburn style?
                          All the test I have done (not many!!) have awsome volumetric noise, but then cut out of a sphere (or box). I have used the falloff, but it just faeds out that effect. You almost need a falloff that does it with noise rather than a uniform fade. See below. Top one Vray, bottom AB.
                          Attached Files
                          Jordan Walsh
                          Senior FX artist

Showreel 2010 (new)
                          Check out my scripts at Script Spot!

Comment

You can use a Falloff map in distance blend mode from the gizmo center to control the edge softness. You can combine this with the noise in a number of ways to get different effects.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

I have tried that vlado, but cant seem to get the right look It just fades off the noise so you get a blurry look.
                              Jordan Walsh
                              Senior FX artist

Showreel 2010 (new)
                              Check out my scripts at Script Spot!

Comment

Working...
                              X