New Path Tracing ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RErender View Post
    It is for static scenes with moving cameras, whenever you save a LC or imap they are frozen in time, different frames are layered together, the imap does not have a 4D aspect at all, all time is merged into one instance. Sometimes you can get away with an animated object moving through a "tunnel" of samples, a swinging door maybe but this is not really correct best to use single frame methods like Bruteforce/LC or the Animation prepass imap blending.
    but in the help on spot3d i found this line:

"Using irradiance maps for anmations with moving objects where the camera also moves - either in Single frame, or Animation (prepass) mode. In this case, setting the Use camera path option on will help to further reduce any flickering, as the GI sample positions on static geometry will not change."

thats why i thought it might help in my case...
    -
    render forza!

-----

Office Le Nomade, Vienna

web: www.oln.at
    blog: blog.oln.at

Comment

Originally posted by nlo View Post
      but in the help on spot3d i found this line:

"Using irradiance maps for anmations with moving objects where the camera also moves - either in Single frame, or Animation (prepass) mode. In this case, setting the Use camera path option on will help to further reduce any flickering, as the GI sample positions on static geometry will not change."

thats why i thought it might help in my case...
      I hadn't considered that, in that case it would essentially be doing an incremental add to the imap, I think though in your case with objects turning on and off it might cause issues but I guess it is uncharted territory so someone will have to try it. you'll definitely need to work with single frame so sending it to one or several computers will not make a difference. I'd probably look at breaking it up into layers and working with the visibility in post.
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

Just to make sure

Ok.. sometimes I feel like when people just say "all you have to do is this", that it's like seeing one of those tutorials where step number nine still looks like a childs crayon artwork but then step 10 is the finished beautiful masterpiece and you are left wondering what are the 870 missing steps between step 9 and 10? lol.

Ok.. let me make sure I understand this:

For a static scene with just a moving camera and not using LC for glossy rays:

1) You are just rendering a single frame (frame 0, or whatever frame the camera starts it's movement on)

2) Check "Don't render final image"

3) Check "Use camera path" for the irradiance map.

4) Set the irradiance map mode to "single frame"

5) Check "auto save" for the irradiance map and give it a file name and location

6) For the light cache select mode "Single frame"

7) Check on "use camera path" for the light cache

8 ) Hit render at which time the LC is rendered and the IRR map is rendered and saved, which results in just ONE single .vrmap file.

9) Turn off LC

10) Set the mode of the IRR map to "From file" and select the file you just calculated.

11) Turn off "don't render final image"

12) Select the range of frames of the camera and set to save the files (of course)

13) Render the series of frames.

Am I missing anything or doing anything wrong?

Then is this any different if there are moving objects in the scene?

Comment

Exactly the same question in my mind. So with this feature - its like precalculations with multiframe incremental + LC flythrough?

Any answers?
          vertex wrangler

Comment

Affirmation

Was the above play by play correct? Having issues and on a deadline.

Comment

Working...
            X