Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skin Shader help required

Hi,

I have been trying for a very long time to create a realistic render.

I have read many posts and think I am getting closer.

However I can never seem to capture the realism I am after.

I think it may be due to my render setup/environment and lighting, rather than the shader setup.
    (see attached.. poser model I am skin shader experimenting on)

Any thoughts, setup and comments would be most appreciated.

ps.. although this link is MentalRay, this is the realism I want to achieve with VRay
    http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tut...irl/girl3.html

Regards,
    Adam
    Attached Files

What settings are you using now?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Well, one thing that comes to mind is that the link's lighting is very different than yours.
      Skin is also SSS, and if the hair cover half the face, it's hard for light to shine through and illuminate it.
      Try rendering the lady without hair at all, and only afterward compose the hair on top so that your render looks good enough.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

would a face with 3s on it look more realistic with an actual skull under the skin?

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

I'd say the skin is the strongest element in your image. Lighting needs to be cranked up (and more colored lights/ambients) and your hair seems a little flat, maybe more sheen? The eye lashes look a little spider legs to me and the eyes could use some work, possibly more wetness/highlights. I think the last thing that I noticed is the skin lacks bump, almost waxy, too perfect. Give her some pours and imperfections.

Almost there though, just needs polish.

Comment

Thanks everyone, will try and add some more lighting, prob some extra hdri for colour, eyelayses fix, etc...

Will keep you posted.

Adam

Comment

I'm still curious. there are some skeletons with muscles on it on turbosquid that I'm wondering if you put a skin on them and applied a skin shader how close to realism would you get as opposed to an empty heads with skin shaders

---------------------------------------------------
              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Yes, an interesting thought.

One step at a time for me.. hehe, but yes, someting indeed to try.

Have removed the hair in my scene and added some more lights, however I have noticed I don`t have any `translucency` in the ears like in the link.

still trying to work out why...

I started with this post as a reference to setting up my skin shader.
                http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ad.php?t=40636

Comment

Well I removed my Environment lighting, hair and placed some vray lights around the place.

I noticed that I wasn`t getting any sss effect (ie light wasn`t showing through the ears).

I dropped the fog multiplier down to 1.0 (from 2.0), and that seemed to help a little... tho since I am still learning here, I am unsure if that was the best solution, if i am heading in the right direction or it was merely a band-aid solution.

Tho, now the character`s skin is looking `hard` to me. Also, I don`t think i really have the sss working properly.
                  Most likely lighting.. still is playing a big part in me trying to make it look more real.

Any help would be most appreciated.

I have attached my vraymtl settings and current test render.

Adam.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Would be best to use VRayFastSSS2 (or VRayFastSSS) material for this.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado,

Yes, Id like to use the VRayFastSSS2.

I have been attempting the vraymtl method for soooooooo long now, and not getting it the way I want it.

I have tried it before with no luck (tho didn`t spend much time with it).

I will try the new VRayFastSSS2.

Hopefully I can find enough info to help me.
                      I think here would be a good start:
                      http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150S...ss2_params.htm

Will keep you all posted, tho this may take a while... After all it is a new/different way for me to do the shader.

Thanks
                      Adam

ps.. is there a general rule/guide for the size of your object/character and the fastsss2 settings?
                      Last edited by phoenix4; 26-04-2009, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

After lots of experimenting, here is my test using the VRayFastSSS2 shader.

I think I still have a lot to do in achieving the result I am after..

Still have issues,
                        Maybe too much light.. or the VRayFastSSS2 isn`t setup quite right..
                        Possibly I need more spec to hilight the bump map...

Also, am experimenting with the scatter radius. I gave the ears a larger radius than the face.

Anyhoo..getting there I think.

Feel free to reply with any comments & advice.

Adam.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by phoenix4; 03-05-2009, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Can you describe your setup?

(Have you made progress?)

Comment

Dont fall for the trap of making her look too translucent. Its a subtle thing.

Take some reference photos of a real person to try and match that with similar lighting.
                            WerT
                            www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Working...
                            X