Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maping a road

Hi,
    I have an S type of road, I'm very new to UVW unwrap. I'm trying to map it so that the texture map follows it (the white line, etc.).

First approach was to extract the shape and draw a bending texture to match it. But now, I'm trying to straighten the UVW so I can use a normal straight texture.

First, when I edit it I always get this up weird shape, the bottom shape is ok, that's the top of the road. Also, can I edit the blue lines? I need a stretched texture, not a "uniform rectangle", size and width the same. Don't know the word sorry.

Any help with this? How to approach it, maybe differently, or how to do what I'm trying to do.

thanks
    Attached Files
    www.hrvojedesign.com

Personally i'd look at the way it was modelled to get you proper uvs - use a spline with a sweep modifier or a loft and you've got good uvs from the off. Texture layers also has a spline mapping mode where you can draw a spline as a source for mapping coordinates - http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPrevie...on/FullPreview

For something like this though I'd normally figure out what part of it is going to be the hardest and let that lead how I build the object - in this case it's the mapping.

Comment

Best thing since sliced bread for this kind of thing is Polygonmap...does it almost automatically...and cheap !

http://www.vg2max.spb.ru/PolygonMap.htm

Comment

Agree with joconnell that it seems easier to redo the road using a sweep modifier to get nice UVs from the start.

Otherwise, since MAX2009, there is the spline option in the Unwrap UVW modifier that is very useful for this kind of shapes, at least you have a nice UV layout to begin with and you can fine tune it with the usual Unwraping tools.

Comment

Guys, all excellent suggestions! Like them very much! Will try most of them just to see how they work and to learn the method.

I just made a pretty cool texture, I had one with lines and road, but was too small, so I overlay it with MAX asphalt texture to gain detail and added random stains. I think it turned out pretty cool. In case it's any good, I'll share it with anyone who wants it, or they can post it somewhere for people to use.

The size is 10326x934, so there should be minimal or no tiling visible...what I usually hate about roads. I've attached the preview. If you want it PM me, or say it here
          Attached Files
          www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Also, how do I adjust, in unwrap, that area in which the texture and the object will be? I don't see this option anywhere. It's usually purple/dark blue lines in edit window
            www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Working...
            X