Network render: Error Deleting XML

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network render: Error Deleting XML

Not sure this is related but I know Discreet will give me crap if I dont ask here too.

VRay 1.09.02a (will do .3a when this project is over, dont have time to deal with all the glossy reflections right now)
    Funny thing is I only have a few more frames to get it done.

Sending network jobs that can take quite a while to render (40m average per frame)

Problem is that some of them render and some dont. The monitor shows the error as a time out but when you look at the slave itself on the slave it says
    Error: Error deleting c:\program files\discreet\backburner (and so on)\jobname.XML

Why would everything work fine then suddenly most of the slaves choke up this error? I have rendered this same job with no problems for a couple weeks then bammo here this goes.

There does not appear to be a permissions issue, the folder the XML is in is not read only or anything like that.

I actually watched on of the slaves work on a frame. All the passes completed and it rendered all except 3 buckets or so them the error popped up and then loaded the next job without saving the rendered image which apparently did not finish anyway.

If I render local there is no problem.

Any ideas?
    "It's the rebels sir....They're here..."

Are your servers set to "time out" before it is finished?
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

Perhaps a bit dumb but where are the time settings for Max5 and backburner 2? Our network render guy is out today.
      But oddly, it has not been a problem until now.

And as a side note:
      When the error occured I looked in the dir where the XML is.
      I could see it and the MAX, MAZ and XML for the new job as well.
      Came back to show a co-worker and the offending XML file was gone.

Comment

the time out is set on each server, we are still running 4.2 here at work so I can't say exactly where, in 4.2 it is under "general settings". server does delete every job when it thinks it is finished.
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

Ok found the time out settings.

In the Network Render dialog under "Advanced" when you render.
          Aparently under Max5 time outs are turned off, so I would assume this means let it go until it is done. Thise seems to only work when Max feels like it.

From here on I will be setting the time out when I submit.

Quite annoying to wait for the render only to have it fail 40 mins later when it is almost done.

I checked the XML file and the time out is set to "off" which still tells me there is an undocumented feature at work here.

Comment

Working...
          X