Help with VrayEdgeTex and Bitmap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with VrayEdgeTex and Bitmap

I've done this before but I'm not positive if Vray has changed. Wasn't there any easy way to combine a VrayEdgeTex with a bitmap underneath? It's driving me crazy...
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Originally posted by jujubee View Post
    I've done this before but I'm not positive if Vray has changed. Wasn't there any easy way to combine a VrayEdgeTex with a bitmap underneath? It's driving me crazy...
    Use a VrayCompTex map with your VrayEdgeTex either added or multiplied over the top of your bitmap. Or use the VrayEdgeTex map as the mask in a mix map between your bitmap and a VrayColor map.
    Check out my models on 3dOcean

Comment

Thanks.

I just figured out another way - Blendmtl with a Vrayedgestex on a coat then duplicate it to the coat material's opacity channel. Turn the blend value to 100% white.

I just recall that there was some other way which I was doing this - wasn't there a Vrayshellac material at one point or is that just my imagination??? It's been a while...

Comment

there has never been a vrayshellac material to my knowledge. Especially since shellac is not physically correct. Though you can toggle the additive mode in the vrayblendmtl for what I guess is the same effect.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Originally posted by stef.thomas View Post
          Use a VrayCompTex map with your VrayEdgeTex either added or multiplied over the top of your bitmap. Or use the VrayEdgeTex map as the mask in a mix map between your bitmap and a VrayColor map.
          I haven't tested the difference in render time between using a mix map or blend material [jujubee], although I would suggest blend material is slower as it has to calculate 2 materials instead of one.

Comment

I just sort of recall an "easier" way of doing it at one point - wireframe on top of JPG. But it's escaping me - my memory has never been that good... Thanks for the replies guys.

Comment

When I try this method it changes my vraycolor material. Any suggestions?
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com
              e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
              phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
              • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
              • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                When I try this method it changes my vraycolor material. Any suggestions?
                Sorry, just tried that and it's a little more complex than I thought. Setup your material with a VRayCompTex map in the diffuse slot. Within the VRayCompTex map put your bitmap in Source A and a VRayEdgesTex map in Source B. Make the colour swatch within your VRayEdgesTex map white and set the Operator in the VRayCompTex map to Subtract.

Now go back up a level to your main material and you can control the colour of the lines using the diffuse colour swatch.
                Check out my models on 3dOcean

Comment

comptex

Thanks. Adding the vrayedgetext in my bump slot accomplish the effect I needed, but I'll know how to do it the other way now if needed.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

VRayEdgesTex

Sorry, just tried that and it's a little more complex than I thought. Setup your material with a VRayCompTex map in the diffuse slot. Within the VRayCompTex map put your bitmap in Source A and a VRayEdgesTex map in Source B. Make the colour swatch within your VRayEdgesTex map white and set the Operator in the VRayCompTex map to Subtract.

Now go back up a level to your main material and you can control the colour of the lines using the diffuse colour swatch.
                    Worked like a charm, thanks.
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...