Global ambient occlusion -- really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global ambient occlusion -- really?

I'm just getting around to reading the changelog for 1.50.sp3a and on of the items listed in the new features is:

Global ambient occlusion for all supported GI engines (irradiance map, light cache, photon map);

Is this REALLY the case? I can't find any "global ambient occlusion" settings.

I have been pretty happy with the AO material I created using a dirt map and a material override, but I wouldn't phrase that as a global ambient occlusion, and I most certainly wouldn't put it as a feature in the changelog. I've been using it for several SP's.

I hope I'm wrong, and just can't find this "global ambient occlusion." If that's the case, can someone point me in the right direction?
    Timothy Saunders

OA

Yep. You have a check box in your v-ray window now.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

DOY. I see it in the GI rollout now.

So what does everyone think about it? People still rendering your own separate pass and comp-ing in photoshop?

And what is different about this new Ambient Occlusion compared to detail enhancement?
      Timothy Saunders

Comment

Ambient Occlusion

It is in the GI box, BTW. I tend to use a mix map with a texture edge to highlight my edges. You can also place the texture edge in your bump slot to give everything a bevel.
        Last edited by glorybound; 21-09-2009, 01:24 PM.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

VRayDirt map in VRayExtraTex render element ftw.
          http://www.ylilammi.com/

Comment

OA

VRayDirt map in VRayExtraTex render element ftw.
            Can you elaborate?
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I tend to use the ExtraTex map as a separate pass because of the possibility to exclude some objects from AO.

Greets
              BLADE

Comment

Is there no way of excluding objects from AO...I want my external objects to have it, but my internal walls look bad in the corners if it is applied there...
                Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

I have decided I like the dirt map better--MUCH better. I do a couple passes, one with a larger radius (like 1 foot) and another with a smaller radius (if I need it) to get a little more pop out of my highly detailed areas. Depends on the scene though.

I exclude objects using the dirt map, rather than the global AO, just apply it to the things you want instead of using it as an override material in the global settings. Then just throw a light mat on everything else.
                  Timothy Saunders

Comment

Applying a dirtmap to everything I needed would be a nightmare for the current scene I have...there are so many objects !

A better way for me would be to just do 2 passes like you said of AO and then just comp in photoshop..erasing the bits i didnt need.

Still...it would make the whole process MUCH easier if you exclude objects from AO with the simple click of a check box..
                    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Yeah, I suppose it would work to do the global dirt pass, and you could have the matte properties set to include the interior stuff in the alpha. That way fixing the dirt map would be pretty easy.
                      Timothy Saunders

Comment

AO exclusion would be fun but I'm thinking that the global AO (at least for now) is mostly for folks who want to do quick-and-dirty GI-like renderings using direct light only with AO for the GI "effect".

In the meantime, perhaps a script could be written to add the Dirt Map to multiple materials quickly.

-Alan
                        Last edited by Alan Iglesias; 03-12-2009, 04:17 PM.

Comment

If you are using a VRayAmbientLight, you can use its exclude list...

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Im not using vrayambientlight..just the indirect illumination AO..I havent yet tried the ambient light method..maybe i will try that
                            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                              If you are using a VRayAmbientLight, you can use its exclude list...
                              Of course! That will be good to keep in mind, Vlado, thanks.

-Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X