No announcement yet.

Ocean Water Displacement Glitches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have done a lot of water shots in one of the latest animation projects.
    I tried almost eveything and ended up with dreamscape water object and vray material with animated bump and no displacement.
    The displacement used up to much memory that i needed for other things.
    The dreamscape Object is dynamic and is drawn only where your camera is looking and uses less detail towards the horizon until its only an infinite plane.
    It works even for fast camera flying above the water and its already animated with tweakable wind settings.
    Reflect, repent and reboot.
    Order shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaunDon View Post
      Very cool! Definitely something worth exploring. I wonder how Max would handle it when expanded to cover more than a thousand square foot area -- even moreso if the camera sees the horizon. Certainly worth experimenting with, thanks for pointing that out!
      The geometry works like a perfect tileable bitmap so you can instance it and each tile will match the next one perfectly. The only thing is that it will probably look repetitive over a long distance.

Another great thing is that the animation is a perfect loop so you can do a animated proxy of say 100 frames and it will keep looping perfectly forever...

Cheers

Comment

Great stuff, guys, thanks for the pointers. I hear ya about the RAM usage for displacement. So far it hasn't been a problem in our still renderings, but animations present a whole new challenge. We're examining our options for recreating ocean water in animation, but the biggest sticking point remains having the water interact dynamically with the boat model. Realflow keeps coming up -- any other recommendations?
        ShaunDon

Comment

dreamscape

---------------------------------------------------
          MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
          stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

It's really that good? I do prefer the price point...
            ShaunDon

Comment

Great ocean render. So you are just using a single smoke map for that, or a number of them layered up at different sizes ? Any hints on the shader for the sea and how to create the white crests ?
              Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Thanks very much, Steve.

The displacement map is just the smoke map that I attached in my first post. The map used in the oil rig scene was a more complicated blend of large waves and small waves, but for my scene the single smoke map has been detailed enough.

I've attached a screenshot of my shader for the ocean water itself -- just in case you miss is, the fog color is slightly darkened. As far as adding the foam, I'm faking that by clamping the smoke map down to a high-contrast map of the highest points and using a VRayBlendMtl to blend a white foam material onto the water in these areas.

Thanks,
                Shaun
                Attached Files
                ShaunDon

Comment

Thanks for the tips..i'll have to give this a go.
                  Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Working...
                  X