Pausable Render?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pausable Render?

Maybe some of you already knew, but when a friend told me that ha was able to pause a VRay render I thought he was kidding.

It turns out that if you use Hair and Fur in Geometry mode, the pause button in the render window is enabled during render. If you push it the render stops adding new buckets till it's resumed (even if the object with fur is hidden).

It's pretty useless for most renders, but I thought it would be worth sharing

(Attached a sample scene, MAX 2010, VRay 1.5 SP3a)
    Attached Files

Great tip. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the tip; at one point we reworked the way the render progress is handled (because of DR issues) - I didn't realize this would also solve the "pause" problem

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Cool, hope it helps to enable the pause without having to do this little trick

Comment

Unfortunately it seems that we will have to revert to the old behavior, as right now there might be (very rare) random crashes as we call the progress bar from different rendering threads...

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I have a quick question. Why would you want to pause a render? Is it because of performance issues on the machine you are using? I find turning a couple of cores off in Task Manager using set affinity is very useful when you want to get on with something else like Photoshop.
            It's just that I'm not sure I would use it even if it worked as easily as just pressing pause anyway. It seems like a pretty useless extra to have.
            Daniel

www.danieljhatton.com

Comment

For me, it has not much use really. Only that's more straightforward than going to Task Manager and changing priorities/affinities when you need doing an extra task while rendering.

Only posted about this because I remembered that some people asked for it in the past.

Comment

To work as normal as ever while rendering with vray in the background, I go to the Vray Settings and under Miscellaneous options I make an X for "Low thread priority".

Comment

Working...
                X