Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vue XStream 8 - Linear Work Flow

Hello,

I was very happy to see Vue XStream 8 - full of hope I recently installed the PLE version.

@current issue:
    I work in the linear gamma space. I figured out that you can change all the materials (texture maps, procedural colors, etc.) inside the xstream material editor by adding a gamma color node. (which is still a pain.. but better than nothing.. right ? )

so far this made me more happy....

but then, I realized.... outsch... I can't apply a gamma correction to the atmosphere. And this is now my major problem.
    When I am using vue, I would like to use especially the atmosphere as environment, or technically speaking as my skylight for GI, reflections and refractions, etc.

As long as it's not possible to gamma correct that, I can't use vue xstream in a linear work flow.
    The status would be: materials are gamma corrected, but the skylight (atmosphere) is not.

So far I couldn't find any solution for that issue.
    Does anybody know how to hook it up ?

thank you very much for all your ideas and suggestions,
    bernhard
    www.bernhardrieder.com
    rieder.bernhard@gmail.com

Fact is you will not get better looking renderings using "Linear Work Flow".

Just a bunch of problems like this one.

There are so many better ways to spend your time.
    Reflect, repent and reboot.
    Order shall return.

Comment

You should not need to gamma-correct the atmosphere; in the real world, it would be like trying to gamma-correct the Earth's sky because your camera saves gamma-corrected JPG files - the problem is not in the sky, but in the camera...

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hello and thx for your reply.

@vlado:
        hmm.... I am not really sure if this is correct... the sky appears very bright compared to the vray sky... I use the of course physical camera.

I was thinking (when using xstream atmopshere) that it's the same like using an HDRI. There are many HDRI out which have been created as sRGB. Usually those HDRI's appear very bright and you need to gamma correct them as well (according to your workflow).

Related to that and the fact that the Xstream atmopshere appears really very pale, I was guessing that you need to gamma correct the projected vue atmsophere.

And that's why I was asking if there is way to gamma correct vue's environment. But I would be more as happy if this is not the case.

Did you make any render test according to your statement ?
        I mean... that the vue atmosphere appears in the right gamma space when working linear ?

thx for all your efforts and help,
        like always, highly appreciated.
        Last edited by bernhard; 20-01-2010, 07:27 PM.
        www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

Which way round do you have the "Use Physical Lighting" setting in the Vue render Options? From the Vue menu in Max it's under File->Options then in the Render Options tab of that dialog. You'll need this option on if you're using a physical camera with the exposure option enabled, off otherwise.

Comment

Hello,

yes Vue is setup to use the physical camera, or let's say the photographic exposure control.

but still the sky appears to bright. Even if the fog and haze is almost turned off.
            www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

try reducing the "intensity scale" to around 1500

What are your lighting units in max set to?
              Chris Jackson
              Shiftmedia
              www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Can you now use Vue to generate realistic cloudy HDR skies for rendering in VRay? I did specifically ask them about this but they didn't reply to my email. If so then I can finally see a reason to use Vue.
                http://www.glass-canvas.co.uk

Comment

yeah there is an export option. It can be painfully slow though.
                  Chris Jackson
                  Shiftmedia
                  www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Working...
                  X