Sphere Displacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sphere Displacement

I'm having one of those moments and after some searching without resolution I decided to ask everyone on here....How can I create a displacement in the shape of a sphere? It doesn't have to be a complete sphere but that would be nice. I 'm doing a beaded wallcovering texture and creating individual spheres (even proxies) would be overkill. I cannot figure out what the gradient should look like. Thanks.

The easiest would be creating a set of a few spheres, render them from an orthogonal camera, add a z-depth renderelement and use the z-depth element as gradient for the displacement.

Regards,
    Thorsten

Comment

Do you have a reference image??

Comment

It essentially looks like a radial gradient you might make in Photoshop, but Thorsten's method is the best/easiest way IMO. Radial gradients tend to give pointed cones more than domes.

b
        Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
        e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

you could also use a gradient ramp set to radial, remove the middle flag, and then enable the output rollout and tweak the curve into half an arc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	circle displace.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	842780

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Nice one Percy!
            Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
            e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Thanks for all of your suggestions. The attached link shows what I am trying to create.

http://cart.mayaromanoff.com/IW_Prod...TI_ITEM_SUBMIT

Comment

Nicely done Percy !!!
                =:-/
                Laurent

Comment

Originally posted by jophus14 View Post
                  Thanks for all of your suggestions. The attached link shows what I am trying to create.

http://cart.mayaromanoff.com/IW_Prod...TI_ITEM_SUBMIT
                  The link goes to a login screen.
                  www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Sorry for the link. Here is another link showing the full wallcovering as well as a close-up sample. Thanks.

http://decorati.com/product/22199/bijou

Comment

interesting wallpaper. I'd probably create a normal map and use it instead of displacement. It sounds like a nightmare if you use displacement.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

you could do it easily with VRayscatter if you have a map of the pattern
                        Chris Jackson
                        Shiftmedia
                        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

This is what I am working with now. I rendered a grey sphere with a tube around it just with environment lighting. I set the tube to be invisible to the camera because I just needed some shadows on the sphere. I then took the rendered image into photoshop and created a brush from the sphere and painted my texture. I am using this as a bump map now and it is working okay. I then created an opacity map for the beads. I duplicated the geometry and offset it a little bit so the back texture is the solid beige wall texture and the duplicated geometry is the bead texture with an opacity map applied. The problem is that the wallcovering is on a huge wall that is somewhat in the distance so the pattern (18"X18") looks small and I am losing some of the detail. Thanks again for all of your help. I appreciate it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X