Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render to texture

This has been bugging me for many years:

Is there a way to get VRay to properly, automatically save a bitmap rendered with Render To Texture? I always have to save it by hand after it renders because the file it writes to disk is just a black image the size of whatever the render output is set to.

And, because of this, I can't have R2T render a bunch of objects in a row while I go run some errands.

The VRay tutorial on the subject isn't doing anything different from what I am doing, except that I'm outputting to an existing channel that I unwrapped myself, and I'm telling it to save to a file that isn't a TGA file.

And again, I've been having this problem for many years. Surely I can't be the only one.
    - Geoff

Works for me - the baked textures get automatically saved. If you have a scene where they don't, can you email it to me at vlado@chaosgroup.com?

[edit] Make sure you are not using the V-Ray VFB for this.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Ok, I'm an idiot. I've been rendering "Diffuse" all this time, instead of "VRay Complete Map". But why should that matter? It looks pretty much the same to me.
      - Geoff

Comment

V-Ray will only recognize the V-Ray specific elements; the 3ds Max ones will not work.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Vlado. What about color correction and exposure when baking textures. Does it not consider that information from the camera ? Bit of a pain in the arse if it doesnt...
          Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

I've run into situations where render to texture doesn't use the exposure of my vray camera so everything renders blown out. Is there a setting so it will?

V Miller

Comment

After sending my post yesterday I gave it some thought and I think that you dont have the same kind of control when rendering to texture, so color correct and exposure etc wont work. The lighting has to be setup purely from the lighting in the scene....can anyone confirm if this is the case or not ?
              Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Anyone ??? Ive just tried to render to texture with a vray sun and sky and the whole lot comes out over exposed. Im using a standard camera now so there is no exposure adjustment via the vray camera. Does this mean i have to adjust the sun multiplier to compensate for the over exposed render to texture process ?? Vlado, I could really do with some help on this. Thanks
                Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Ive noticed that the max buffer when rendering is correct but max saves out an incorrect map that is overexposed. Check out the difference between the 2 images attached.

Ive tried adjusting gamma in max but it doesnt help. Ive also tried checking different color mapping slots but that doesnt help either.

Am I doing something wrong ?!
                  Attached Files
                  Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

What kind of file format are you saving to?

As far as camera exposure goes, it will be fine if you lock the render camera to the physical camera in the Render Scene dialog.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

I was saving to TGA format but thought id change that to JPG but it didnt make any difference.

I'll try out the camera lock..cheers
                      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Ok. I turned on the apply color mapping checkbox in the render to texture dialogue and everything is fine now.
                        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Working...
                        X