Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with HighRes VrayDisplacement

Hi there,

I wonder how I can get very detailed displacement (e.g. from a ZBrush displacement Map) without any artifcacts ? In this example, I rendered a highly tessalated sphere with a Vraydisplacement modifier and a HighresMap, on the bottom of the jpg you can see the result. I tried out various settings of the modifier, it didn`t get any better result. Even with a more tesselated mesh, nothing changes.
    How can I make a smooth, detailed rendering of this ?

Best regards
    Ingo
    Attached Files

typically you would lower edge length, in this case you might want to turn down bitmap filtering.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

If you aren't already, you should try the VrayBitmapFilter to load your map instead of the Max Bitmap loader - often gives me better results.
      Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
      e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

If you look closely, the square looking artifacts are actually larger than the tesselated sphere quads.....which means that it's probably your map that's causing this issue & not the mesh.

Try using the Max modifier 'DISPLACEMENT' as a test. It will show you in the viewport what's happening with your mesh/map displacement in real time.

Also are you using 2d or 3d displacement??
        Cheers

Comment

Hi and thanks for the answers,

I think it is not the image itself witch causes the problem (I tried it with differend 8192*8192 pixel 16Bit Tiffs), but the way Max/Vray interpret it. Again a test, I loaded the same image with the Max Bitmap loader with two different Filter settings (Pyramidal ans Summed Area) and the VrayBitmapFilter. Finally, I tried the original Max Displace modifier with an even more tesselated mesh, whitch gave me the best result.
          So it seems the best workflow is to tesseltate the mesh (e.g. with turbosmooth) and then use the Max Displacement modifier instead of the VrayDisplacement ? Even when I`m rendering with Vray ? Strange...

Best regards
          Ingo
          Attached Files

Comment

have you tried with mental ray? does it give better result?
            Dmitry Vinnik
            Silhouette Images Inc.
            ShowReel:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
            https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by lichtmaschine View Post
              Hi and thanks for the answers,

I tried the original Max Displace modifier with an even more tesselated mesh, whitch gave me the best result.
              So it seems the best workflow is to tesseltate the mesh (e.g. with turbosmooth) and then use the Max Displacement modifier instead of the VrayDisplacement ? Even when I`m rendering with Vray ? Strange...

Best regards
              Ingo
              In the end it's all just polys........it only matters that you get the polys you want, NOT HOW you get them!! If a different method works than the normal one you use, then that just gives you more options..which is always better.
              I love the max displacement modifier as you get viewport feedback instantly.

Cheers

Comment

Hi 3DMK,

sure, at the end, only the result matters, but I still haven`t found any convinient way to get a satisfying result. With the Max Displace Modifier, you can`t work with large meshes, because the tesselation would give you unbelievable high polycounts which can`t be rendered any more.
                Maybe someone is woking also with Zbrush and very high detailed displacement maps ?

Comment

Working...
                X