Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vray GPU and 10 mil poly scenes... few questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dellis View Post
    Vlado,

How does VRay RT GPU work with multiple cards in SLI mode? Does it see them as one...like you get the cumulative amount of memory and processing? Will the memory hit be spread across the cards? I saw the demo videos but i'm still a bit unsure about how this works...and how i should proceed with future hardware builds. Would love to build a couple machines using this motherboard:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...353&CatId=4068
    SLI dont work. U actually have to disable SLI to make it work and no u dont share memory either... each GPU have its own copy of scene inside it so its a bit fail...

And this motherboard is a bit pointless for you to be honest... all graphics card are 2/3 slot big... better go with cheaper mobo but with more space between each slot... / its dual CPU.. I changed my mind Go for it :O where can I buy it in UK ? :O

For cheap render nodes ill go with Shapphire 4 gb ATI... its dual gpu on 1 card which I believe should give u 4 gb(biggest so far for cheap price) of shared memory for 2 gpus... (3x6 gpus in 3 pcie mobo)
    Last edited by Dariusz Makowski (Dadal); 03-09-2010, 07:10 AM.
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Originally posted by dellis View Post
      How does VRay RT GPU work with multiple cards in SLI mode? Does it see them as one...like you get the cumulative amount of memory and processing? Will the memory hit be spread across the cards? I saw the demo videos but i'm still a bit unsure about how this works...and how i should proceed with future hardware builds.
      This would depend on the drivers really. Currently, the OpenCL driver sees both cards as separate devices, so sharing the memory is not possible. This means that the entire scene must fit on each GPU.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        I would love to, but the OpenCL support is very poor at present, so it's of no use for V-Ray RT at this time.

EDIT: Just saw there is a new ATI Streaming SDK released (2.2), will check it out...

Best regards,
        Vlado
        Did you have a chance to look at 2.2? I have a Radeon 5870 and would be very happy if I could use it with Vray RT GPU.

Comment

Working...
        X