Architectural glass for animation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Architectural glass for animation

Am I safe to set IOR for refraction to 1.0 for a walkthrough animation? The material editor goes weird.
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

I'm never using 1, I tend to use 1.01... Never tried it in animation. Why not using the normal 1.6'ish glass??
    Alain Blanchette
    www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by thablanch View Post
      I'm never using 1, I tend to use 1.01... Never tried it in animation. Why not using the normal 1.6'ish glass??
      One or two of my shots are looking at a piece of glass at quite an oblique angle, so the distortions are quite high. My client is the type of client who would say: "That isn't right. Can you get rid of the distortions please?"!

I'm also struggling with the fog colour at the minute. I'm not sure what has happened since I reinstalled my machine, but the green tint I usually apply to 'in-scene-rendered-glass' is rendering VERY green. I have reduced the fog multiplier to 0.001 and a VERY slight green colour in the colour slot, but it is still looking way too green. Puzzling...
      Kind Regards,
      Richard Birket

Comment

I'm setting my refraction colour to change the glass colour and leave the fog colour at deafult. I find it is easier to control this way
        hint: the colour you pick will be MUCH brighter and more saturad so pick a very very slight green colour.
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
          One or two of my shots are looking at a piece of glass at quite an oblique angle, so the distortions are quite high. My client is the type of client who would say: "That isn't right. Can you get rid of the distortions please?"!
          isn't the glass modelled with actual thickness? there shouldn't be any distortion looking through it, unless the window is a single sided plane.
          anyway, ior 1,0 it's safe to use, as long as I know.
          Last edited by rivoli; 14-09-2010, 07:11 AM.

Comment

im guessing the same as rivoli on this one

---------------------------------------------------
            MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
            stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Yeah I believe the last 2 comments are correct - if your glass geometry has a thickness you should use an IOR of 1.6 - If your glass is single sided poly, use IOR 1.0 (or 1.01)
              chris
              www.arc-media.co.uk

Comment

I agree with the others regarding thickness and IOR. As far as tint goes I tend to use the refraction colour rather than fog, try the following values - H:100, S:5, L:240.
                Check out my models on 3dOcean

Comment

Glass is modelled with thickness.

However, when you look along a pane of glass (with thickness of, for example, 6mm) very obliquely, the thickness you are looking through is effectively greater, meaning bigger distortions, right? Maybe I misunderstand this, but I always figured looking straight at a piece of glass (i.e. perpendicular to it) would give much less refractive 'distortion' than looking at a much shallower angle.
                  Kind Regards,
                  Richard Birket

Comment

I always use an IOR (refraction) of 1.0 and for the (reflection) IOR a 1.6 for the distortion in the bump map but not in the refraction (because of the distortion trough the glass itself)

@Tricky yes in Mateditor it looks weird, but at rendering it's ok.

best regards
                    themaxxer
                    Pixelschmiede GmbH
                    www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
                      However, when you look along a pane of glass (with thickness of, for example, 6mm) very obliquely, the thickness you are looking through is effectively greater, meaning bigger distortions, right? Maybe I misunderstand this, but I always figured looking straight at a piece of glass (i.e. perpendicular to it) would give much less refractive 'distortion' than looking at a much shallower angle.
                      not really, light gets bent even when you look perpendicularly through a piece of glass, but 6mm it's so thin that any deformation should be negligible. maybe if you had a 20 cm thick window, you could actually notice a difference.

Comment

Maybe I am looking at a piece of problem glass geometry then. It was given to me. I will remodel and see what happens.
                        Kind Regards,
                        Richard Birket

Comment

Working...
                        X