No announcement yet.

Vray GPU RT Final Renderings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently it looks like RT is more of a previewing tool than a replacement of the vray production renderer.
    Great to be able to preview lighting and materials interactively!
    It will be interesting to see how it progresses as the hardware gets faster.
    GPU looks interesting, but for the start I'll still be investing in CPU/render power primarily. Would be nice to get GTX480 or similar in the near future though

This is a nice example of a high-res RT image on a GTX 295 http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ours-test-quot

Comment

Originally posted by add101 View Post
      Currently it looks like RT is more of a previewing tool than a replacement of the vray production renderer.
      Great to be able to preview lighting and materials interactively!
      It will be interesting to see how it progresses as the hardware gets faster.
      GPU looks interesting, but for the start I'll still be investing in CPU/render power primarily. Would be nice to get GTX480 or similar in the near future though

This is a nice example of a high-res RT image on a GTX 295 http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ours-test-quot
      I saw that. But three hours??? We might as well use Maxwell.

Comment

Originally posted by arobbert View Post
        I saw that. But three hours??? We might as well use Maxwell.
        Yeah, it is a long time, and scene doesn't look massive, but shadows and refractions DOF must push the rendertimes up a lot, and it looks good.
        I'm guessing a similar scene and settings might take longer to get to the same resolution and smoothness in Maxwell. Maybe days... A couple of tests i did a while ago with it took ages.
        The thing that really interests me with RT is being able to tweak material and lighting in realtime. It looks like in most cases it won't be the best option for production/final renders, but it offers a more immediate workflow for setting up and fine tuning materials and lighting (the magic ingredients.
        I'm looking forward to being able to work in in the RT viewport! maybe one day
        We'll see how the technology develops over time, as the hardware speeds up.

I would be interested to see how that scene refined over time. Different people might have different cut-off points where they'd be happy to present it to clients. For most projects my final rendertimes are 30min-3hours, for 2000-3000 pixel width images, and before that preview/test renders are around the range of 5-15min, but i seen a lot of people have a lot higher settings/rendertimes for finals. In a way it would be great to have the option to just leave render to go as far as it can, rather than trying to calculate settings around a particular rendertime required then rendering.

Comment

Working...
        X