Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Achieving a strong clear white specular highlight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Achieving a strong clear white specular highlight?

'lo

I have been trying to make a material that has a sort of "clear coat" on top of it, sorta like veneer. I need it to pick up a strong white specular highlight, problem is its a totally flat surface, making it harder to achieve this.

I have tried to make a porcelain material (as this is the closest example of what I am trying to achieve), I have tried the sample material that was posted on the forum (many thanks for that), and I have tried a tutorial that was written for LW, but has the same basic idea. I am unable to get a strong, clear specular highlight. I have even tried the HighlightOnly material from Blur, still unable to achieve the look I want.

I tried making an HDR Image which had white cards in it, but that didn't quite work out the way I had planed. I need the object to pick up a reflection from a white plain directly above it, plain and simple.

If anyone has made a material like this before, or has any ideas/material/scene they can share, it would be greatly appreciated.

/BlueShift
    Saad "BlueShift" Ur Rahman
    saad.ur.rahman<at>gmail<dot>com

"Professional built the Titanic, amateurs built the Arc."

You should play with gloss values from around ".95" to ".99". It may look as if the real material is perfectly reflective but these values give a good impression of reflections but also allows for a visible specular. This is even more the case when using an HDRI with a nice wide range.

--Jon

Comment

Working...
    X