Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to apply displacement only to a portion of the surface?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to apply displacement only to a portion of the surface?

If I set my displacement map not to tile, and my uvwmap gizmo smaller than the plane where the displ is applied to, it still renders the displacement across the whole plane. How can I solve this?

thanks,

flipside
    Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

You should map your obeject with unwrap UV; for the pieces you dont want to be displaced you should choose ideally a grey part of the texture, since RGB 128 is neutral in terms of displace

Comment

it should work that way flipside.

i have done that exactly the same way a few times and it worked.

Comment

Ok thanks!

But still I wonder why the displacement map tiles across the whole surface even when the map is set not to tile.
        Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

re

Thnx for that good tip....I've been having similar problems. It also helps if you adjust the dimensions of the map in a photo program.

Indecisive archictects will be the death of us all.

Comment

Indeed good tip, but grey in my tests is halway displaced up and black is non displaced, relative to the original surface.

Comment

shytiger, could we see ur displacement map and the settings ?

Comment

Working...
              X