aliasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aliasing

I have a blimp model I purchased off of turbosquid. I applied a bump map to a simple vray material (to simulate the lights on the side of the blimp for a logo), but I am getting some aliasing on the underside. I've tried various antialiasing filters. Is there another way to fix this? I am only a casual VRay user, it may be something I haven't checked..Click image for larger version

Name:	aliasing.png
Views:	1
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	872516

Try to switch the image sampler to "Adaptive DMC". Testrender. If aliasing appears again, change Min subdivs to 2 and Max subdivs to 5 or 6 in the "Vray::Adaptive DMC image sampler" rollout in the Render Setup.

Regards
    BLADE

Comment

Thanks, I will try those settings..

Question 2: how can I get just the logo on the side to be self illuminated..? I tried the VRayLightMaterial, but it lights up the whole blimp.. I can't use a VRayLightMaterial as a map in a regular VRayMaterial. How do you produce self illuminated maps?

Comment

Use vray blendmaterial.
        Base material to first slot.
        Light material to second slot.
        Mask that material with bitmap.
        Lasse Kilpia
        VFX Artist
        Post Control Helsinki

Comment

Thanks!

It's looking better..

Question 3: the inside of my engines look lit up. Why is that?

Comment

Probably because you set the light material as being two-sided (illuminates on the backside of the mesh and therefore lights up the interior).
            Check my blog

Comment

The engines don't have a light material, they just have a regular material.. In fact, I have darkened the scene considerably, and it looks like there is light coming from the engines..

?

EDIT: I can get rid of the lit areas if I turn off 'Generate GI'..

EDIT2: See attached pic.. I'm getting a spot and lit areas around the blimp.. Why?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Exon; 28-12-2010, 04:57 PM.

Comment

A couple of possibilities: Are you using the light cache and, if yes, have you tried raising its settings? If your problems are light leaks, that could solve it.

Also, do you have standard materials in the scene? I have noticed that in Vray 2.0, when using a VrayLight material, objects that have a standard material tend to shine. I've also had unexplainable instances of nearby objects (with VrayMaterials) acquiring a degree of luminance, which I could only solve by darkening their materials or making them not to generate GI. The VrayLight material seems to be generally a bit buggy in Vray2.0 - I've had a few Vray crashes that seemed to be related to Vray lights, but I couldn't reproduce them...
                Check my blog

Comment

I am not using light cache.

I am not using VRay2.0..

I am not using any standard materials..

I literally dropped this turbosquid model into a scene, switched to the vray render, applied a white vray material, added two lights (one over, one under) and rendered... I've tweaked vray as yall have suggested, but nothing else...

Comment

beats me then...
                    Check my blog

Comment

I agree, this should be simple...

Comment

You're working to real-world scale, aren't you? Can't think of anything else...
                        Check my blog

Comment

Apply shell modifier to geometry, Check geometry maybe its simply crappy model...
                          CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Is there a geometry util like Shape Check that will let me know if there are problems..?

Everything looks ok, I've added a shell and/or cap holes modifier just to make sure..

I'll check scale to make sure it is real-world size (didn't know that made a difference, thank you for that info)

Comment

Yes, if you try to render objects that are just a few millimeters big, it can create all sorts of GI problems. If you have to rescale, make sure you do so in sub-object mode or that you apply an Xref to the rescaled model.
                              Check my blog

Comment

Working...
                              X