render vertices only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• render vertices only?

I'm looking for an effect similar to VRayEdgesTex, but for say VRayVerticesTex. I want to only render out the vertex points, for an "holographic" look I'm working on.

Is this possible? Is there maybe another way than with a vray shader? I duplicated object, broke all the vertices, but don't see any way to render the isolated vertices? I'd love a "make renderable" modifier like on splines but I don't see that either.

I see two ways you can do this. The lattice modifier with it set to joints only. Or a particle system with particles spawning at the vertices of a given object.
    Jeff Adams - Freelance Architectural Illustrator
    http://www.jamodeler.com/freelance/

Comment

there are a couple of scripts in the soulburn pack that will allow you to place an object on each vertex. there one for splines and another for objects.

it will give a similar result to the lattice modifier though it will give you a couple of extra options.

Comment

I'd render using Krakatoa, but that isn't available for everyone i guess heh. There is an example in the mxs docs to develop a vertex renderer in mxs that you could (ab)use.
        Spawning particles on vertices using PFlow is indeed a viable alternative.

Regards,
        Thorsten

Comment

You could also take a UV snapshot, save out those uvs with an alpha channel. Interpret the alpha in photoshop and make a mask. Do a 1 or 2 pixel blur on the mask, then do a levels on the mask and it'll peel those lines away except where they intersect. You can use it as a texture map and opacity map, which will give you little circles on your verts. I've done this a few times, the photoshop part takes a while to get it perfect. Only downside is the circles aren't 100% perfect, but they've done the trick for me more than once.

Comment

Working...
          X