No announcement yet.

About noise in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The global subdiv multiplier is too much of a bazooka... But the VMC should do the trick. I even have it installed already. How come I didn't think of it?
    Check my blog

Comment

• yeah, bazooka...
      VMC is excellent!
      so, what are you guys setting the adaptive amount to, in the latest tests? 1 like old universal, or default of 0.85?
      Curious to do some tests, too.

Comment

• Bertrand:
        Something is really strange about that Chicago Loft scene...
        I had a play with it and then i imported some of the assets into a scene of mine.....not only it started generating more noise, BUT it completely broke the ability to render the scene in DR.
        I ve posted the problem here:
        http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...tered-this-one

the floor is so hard to get noiseless
        Martin
        http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

• Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
          the floor is so hard to get noiseless
          don't know what it's happening with dr there, but if the floor's material subdivisions are set at 8, it's quite likely to be really hard to clean if the AA has to do all the work. you might try to raise them quite a bit, if you haven't already.

Comment

• Originally posted by BBB3 View Post
            The global subdiv multiplier is too much of a bazooka... But the VMC should do the trick. I even have it installed already. How come I didn't think of it?
            Oh, one thing, the VMC only seems to go up to integer 200...FWIW

Comment

• llab:
              what sort of LC settign do you use? do you use retrace threshold at all? Prefilter??? Thanks!

Rivoli:
              yep i had o increase that a lot
              Martin

Comment

• WOW...i must say your settigns are amazing llab!!!!
                not only the rendering is fast, but the image is absolutely noiseless! (well just with a level of noise i love to use)
                THANKS A LOT!
                Last edited by PIXELBOX_SRO; 28-01-2012, 05:35 AM.
                Martin

Comment

• u r welcome
                  happy it helped you

stefan
                  Last edited by lllab; 29-01-2012, 04:33 AM.

Comment

• Yes, thank you stefan, and of course everybody that input on this thread.
                    I'm doing some tests with your settings on a "real" scene and so far, so good.
                    One thing I noticed in my tests so far, is that the glossiness amount of a vray material has large effect on render time and memory.
                    I had an object with a glossy level of .95 and by changing that to .8 the rendering time reduced from about 8 hours to 6...Also, before changing that, the LC was taking closer to an hour, and after the change to .8 LC finished in 8-10 minutes. Will post images later...

Comment

• I was just thinking that a "Vray Subdivision Lister" that listed and gave access to all the various material/light/gi subdivisions used by Vray, would be a really handy add-on. It would certainly make experimenting with these workflows, and tracking your scene quality settings, vastly easier. I often have so many layered and mixed materials that it is very easy to lose track.

Unfortunately I can't script

/b
                      Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                      e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

• great one, that would be so helpful

Comment

• Was thinking something similar brett - something that'd iterate through all of your materials and if for example they have a glosiness of one, then 8 subdivs is fine, if they were glossy .9, then 64, glossy 8 were 128 and so on - just as a way of making quick broad strokes and experimentations.

Comment

• Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                            Was thinking something similar brett - something that'd iterate through all of your materials and if for example they have a glosiness of one, then 8 subdivs is fine, if they were glossy .9, then 64, glossy 8 were 128 and so on - just as a way of making quick broad strokes and experimentations.
                            you just point to one of my secret vray wishes: a sort of lock/unlock ratio button between glossiness values and subdivision values but not as a script but built-in inside the vraymtl shader, something similar to "image aspect" in render common parameters
                            Alessandro

Comment

• Well I won't be able to do that but I can certainly look at a utility to do exactly what I mentioned above for the materials. We can tack on lights too but they're maybe slightly odder ones - admittedly larger lights are softer and will need more samples buit would you use a similar method to determine subdivs by size?

Comment

• mmh, I suppose it could be hard to guess the right lights subds value starting only from their area
                                Alessandro

Comment

Working...
                                X