No announcement yet.

About noise in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe this free sample scene from Evermotion could be a good test-scene http://www.evermotion.org/modelshop/...l-26/8109/0/0/

I lowered the default settings for fast renders, i think Vray 2.2 is showing more detail but maybe more noise too. With 1.5 were 11 minutes, 2.2 12 minutes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	844963Click image for larger version

Name:	2.2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	844964

Comment

• Wow amazing post here !
      Thanks Brett for keepping me in touch

We spend some days last summer with Raf Tomaszewski from Nam-concept around these new behaviors and have tried to improve the "special universal" preset for SolidRocks when used in Universal method.
      We made some interesting settings, but nothing perfect, because of actual Solidrocks limitations : Actually SolidRocks wants to "apply" the regular universal method.

Since i've read this thread carefully, it's clear that i need to change SR preset editor and rename this method in "BruteForce+LC" and now allow user to tweak the preset for this mode just as he wants. First, add a desired BF subdivs value for all quality steps (medium, good...), i'm on it, and soon we can tell to SR, for example : i want DMC noise thr at 0.005 at medium and 0.003 at production quality, adjust independent thr for AA in same way, tell : AA will be 1-4/0.01 for medium and 2-8/0.005 for prod, etc... SR will as usual compute the intermediate values. Same for global mult, min samples, etc....

It will be easier to make test this way and find the good balance.

Of course i can add in same time what some of you asked for : tell the SR preset how min glossies subdivs whe want for medium/prod, and SR will adjust all materials according to the law glossSubds/AA max subdivs.
      I can even add if you want another request made here : adjust materials glossies subdivs related to refl glosinnes value (8 for 1.0, 16 for 0.9, etc). then adjusted to match the desired min subdivs, taking account of the actual AA max subdivs.... Not so complex to do as SR already parses all the materials in scene.
      Of course i can provide NFR licences for those who are interested in this way. The goal will be to find the best preset

Hope it have an interest. Feel free to request if you've some ideas in some automations.
      Jérôme Prévost.
      SolidRocks, the V-Ray Wizard.
      http://solidrocks.subburb.com

Comment

• just a little bump to this topic..

using 256 value in subdivs when using dirt material will make your LC go incredibly slow

Are the dirt subdivs computed differently to the other mats subdivs?
        Martin
        http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

• Another down side is that the material editor seems to use render parameters since it's almost doing a tiny vray render for each shader ball - on max 2010, opening the material editor when you've a glossy material with 500 subdivs gets a tiny bits slow! I've also noticed that this method has a big hit on sss2 materials although I'll ask vlado in a separate thread.

Comment

• yeah, I notice it too ...that's is very annoying

I'm starting to think we need a multiplier ONLY for mats and lights inside the system rollout, not a only the global one; could be an idea?
            Another useful update could be about the subds default values, for me actually 8 is totally useless, it should be 32 or 64 as minimum
            Alessandro

Comment

• I have not read the whole thread, but I have noticed the noise is much more present if "retrace cornes" option is on!
              if you disable it the image is rendered almost noise free with SR medium preset.

best regards
              themaxxer
              Pixelschmiede GmbH
              www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

• One "between a rock and a hard place" situation I've found is if you've got large amounts of objects using fast sss 2 - The sss prepass seems to get really heavily affected by lights with high subdivs so I've used 8 samples on my area lights. If you've other scene objects or use a diffuse amount in the sss material you'll see lots of grain in your lighting element. Tough one!

Comment

• Originally posted by themaxxer View Post
                  I have not read the whole thread, but I have noticed the noise is much more present if "retrace cornes" option is on!
                  if you disable it the image is rendered almost noise free with SR medium preset.

best regards
                  themaxxer
                  "retrace cornes" where is this option?
                  Luke Szeflinski
                  :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

• It's in the light cache settings
                    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

• hmm I can't see it:
                      Luke Szeflinski
                      :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

• I think he means the retrace threshold.
                        Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                        e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

• edit: already posted above!
                          Last edited by Pixelcon; 09-03-2012, 06:09 PM. Reason: edit: already posted above!
                          James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                          Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

• Hey Illabs
                            why have you chosen 256 as a number for subdivs ?
                            As it is a ratio between DMC subdivs and subdivs in the scene (lights materials etc.) is there a difference between having
                            dmc 1-100 and scene subdivs at 200 which gives you 200/100= 2
                            or
                            dmc 1-10 and scene subdivs at 20 which also gives you 20/10= 2

Comment

• So has anyone decided what the revised "universal settings" should be?
                              Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

• not yet it seems. For now however I'm sticking to IRmap instead of brute force
                                Kind Regards,
                                Morne

Comment

Working...
                                X