floor is rising... ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floor is rising... ???

when i use VrayDisplacement on a floor (plane) and render it, it's not remaining at the same level as the floor in the unrendered scene
    for instance i take a stupid teapot and create it on top of the plane as a matter of testing, and use my tiles as a displacement map, look what it does when i render it:

I think its trial and error ......... not sure if there is an answer ....
    Natty
    http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

Add a meshsmooth modifier to the table with "0" literations.

Comment

Re: floor is rising... ???

>>>it's not remaining at the same level as the floor in the unrendered scene<<<

That's what the displacement modifier does: Displace geometry at render time, not in the viewports.

The Texmap you use will control HOW this displacement dose happen.

The Amount will limit the absolute max displacement produced.

Fermí

Comment

If you use the Max Displace Modifier and set it up with the same bitmap and set it to only be active in the viewport and the VRAY displacement to only be active in the renderer, you can get a better idea of where the displacemnt will be located. Not so trial and error as long as you remember to keep setting both when you change the input height.
          Cheers
          Mike K
          Two heads are better than one ...
          ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

if that works then the parameters could be wired together so only one setting would have to be modified.

Vance Miller

Comment

But then the Scene get more faces then it could have using only VRay Displacment. a 1X1 plane is good for VRay but not for MAX Displacment.

I think working in scale is a good method of knowing how much things displace... for the floor tile i use 1.5 to 2 cm displacment and i know it will not grow to be a mountain or cover a 15 cm teapot... for that matter i'll put the teapot 1.5 to 2 cm above the plane in the first place.

my little 2 cents

Regards,
              Bakbek.
              sigpic

Comment

it all come down to your displacement map. This is what a decent displacement map should look like (simple tho)

Here it is in use.
                without glossys
                with glossys

Black for the parts that you dont want to move and gray thru to white for the bits that you want raised up.

Now if most of your displacement map is a similar shade of gray/white then you will get the problem that your having, where you have to really crank it up to get any detail in the tiles, but this also raises the whole mesh upwards....

Please post your displacement map so we can help you sort out your problem.

Comment

Yes, use a black/white map. I read some people think that grey is zero displacement, but this is wrong. Now if you use this map with displacement set to for example 2, al the pure white will be moved by 2 and so they will intersect with your teapot. The trick is to use the shift value, set it to -2 and your white parts will now be back to the level of the original mesh, and your black parts will be moved 2 downwards. So it's not trial and error at all, it's simple logic!

regards,

flipside
                  Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Hi !
                    I had the same problem and the answer is very simple...

In the Vray displacement parameters , UNCHECK FILTER TEXMAP.

That's all !!!
                    You will see the object remaining where you put it...
                    However, you may have to decrease the AMOUNT

Bye !
                    Gafl

Comment

"it all come down to your displacement map. This is what a decent displacement map should look like (simple tho)"

I think its too noisy on the edges (see image) use gaussian blur to get smooth edges. 1,5-2 pixel.

Comment

thnx flipside, daforce and losbellos,

i 've adjusted the displacementmap as shown and now my tiles look like tiles afterall

Comment

No worries, glad to help.

Looks good

Comment

Working...
                          X