No announcement yet.

Lampshade Material Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is one I did last night, Low reflection with Glossy(.02) at 10 subs and Medium Refraction with glossy (.02) at 10 subs, Translucency on (med greyish/tan colr) I think the thickness was .2 light mult at 1.2 scatter and frwd/bck at .5

Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

RErender - is the object solid?
      "It's the rebels sir....They're here..."

Comment

It's not solid, but it does have thickness, about 1/8th inch thick. There is a small renderable vraylight inside where the bulb would be.
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

V. Nice G. Work Rerender and EGZ

problem is wen object is open and show te second sided....

Comment

Guys- that looks fantastic! Thanks for the tips- I really appreciate it! I'll have to give it a shot then post some screens.

Rosenman also had written me back. Mentioned that most people would just use a refractive material with blurriness set to high:

"Now to remember how this is done...hmmm. I believe you can do this with either a standard material + the VRay Map or a Vray Material. I tend to use the VRay material because it's more powerful. I can't really tell you what the settings would be because I would have to fiddle with it to get it right. But basically, I would turn up the refraction color, turn glossiness in the refraction to something like 0.5, and play with the fog color (reduce it to around 0.2)."

well- have some tests to work on now. Now I wonder what's going to provide the fastest results in a scene with multiple lights.

-juju
            LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
            HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
            Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

EZG- I've been working on getting the lamp you created to work properly. I created a cone- turned it into an editable mesh. I clicked on VRAY light and positioned it inside the cone. When I render- all I get is black though. I've been playing with the settings for over an hour now. When I go up with the multiplier- same thing. Adjusting the materials settings- same too. Is there something I'm doing wrong with the vray light? What were your settings?

Comment

Hi Bubujee

Here's the scene: http://vray.info/assets/egz/lampbox.zip (max 5 file)
                Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

hey egz, thanks for the file.

paul.

Comment

Thanks EZG for the file. I didn't realize one has to raise the multiplier on the vray light (as well as photometrics.) When using max defaults- youre used to values of 1.0 or 2.0 - you'd never imagine 1000- especially when it blows out the viewports!

Well, 1000 is what I have it set for on this particular scene. It involves 2 vray lights with the wax material. I've included the material settings here too. GI is turned on. This seems like the magic bullet number/settings as any higher I get white instead of the biege which I am seeking. This isn't a solid object- it does have some thickness to the shade. I'm still not getting the diffuse light passing through the shade...

-jujubee

Comment

looks good juju.

paul.

Comment

Try putting the material in a wrapper and increase the GI output.
                        Eric Boer
                        Dev

Comment

Thanks cocolas- though it's still missing something something.

Rerender- your lamp looks the most realistic out of the lot. How the heck did you get that result? I tried following your settings and it renders out black so far. Is it because you have a map in the translucency slot? Can you please post the scene?

Whenever I check the translucence check box, the shade renders out black. What could be causing this?

Comment

No maps

Translucency works best together with glossy reflections and glossy refraction with or without interpolation (Personaly I hate waiting for the pre-passes.)

Here's the material: http://www.varcht.com/files/LampShade.zip

My scene was in inches and close to scale, light was spherical vraylight about 1 1/2" d and a multiplier of 120.
                            Eric Boer
                            Dev

Comment

Ok Rerender. I'm not crazy. Stupid perhaps but not crazy. I used your mat- ditto. Shade is not translucent. Whats the story here?!?!? I realize this image is ugly. The model is ugly. I don't care anymore about ugly. Just trying to get it to work properly.

Here's a non-working new image:

and here's the new max file- had to strip it down due to copy whatnot:

http://home.comcast.net/~charlesleo/basiclamp.max

Comment

Bubujee,

When I said solid object, I meant that the walls should have thickness, not that it should be a solid block. Sorry about that confusion. If you look at the file you'll see what I meant.
                                Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

Working...
                                X