No announcement yet.

Lampshade Material Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a scene that I rendered out- the purpose of my Lampshade questioning to begin with. It still needs a considerable amount of tweaking. It's my first 'archi' rendering ever. I have to get the dimensions/focus into better perspective:

Render time: about a half hour.
    Lights: 6 vray lights in the lamps. 2 omni's (1 inverse square and 1 inverse) for better overall illumination.
    Environment map: HDRI
    205,783 polys

open to suggestions...

-jujubee
    http://www.lunarstudio.com
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

looks nice!!!....
      the rug needs some work seems almost to blend in w/ the floor ....

i like the lamps....
      I'd also do something for the outside - right now the outside seems kinda bleak....
      also, does the piece in the corner have a mirror??....it doesn't seem like it...

paul.

Comment

Thanks Paul for the compliment and the tips. The lamps work effectively here- just wish they were able to cast out more light without washing out other parts of the scene.

I'll have to think about the outside- perhaps an HDRI city scene at dusk. As for the mirror- it does exist as a vraymat with reflectivity knocked up. Why it's not bouncing some lights around the scene is beyond me. Perhaps it's just pointing up at the ceiling off camera (also, I have torn down some walls from behind- could just be staring out into the great emptiness.) And as for that rug- search me on that one. It's a high-res jpg I converted into a Targa with an alpha channel embedded around the borders. Supersampling is turned on for it so it's a little weird how it's blending like that. I'll have to play around some or just get a different rug that doesn't clash so much.

juju

Comment

I think the best way is to use omni lights where you can set attenuation... and turn off the specularity. For the textil body of the lamp set glossy ~ 0.2 refraction, <~1.1, and a place where light bulb is a simple sphere with self illuminaton. (output 3-5) This way you can put near walls without having overbright areas, and also by the attenuation you can control how much light get out per light. More useful in this case I think.

Comment

losbellos- good tips- but you're saying you can adjust the attenuation on a self-illuminated material?

[reedited] sorry los, read your post wrong. I'm hallucinating for not having slept in three days.

Comment

Hi jujubee,

I think your image have a feeling of a scenario of a theater... I mean that your skylight should be your main source of light, if you are trying to give a more natural feeling to it...

Other than that looks good

Gonçalo

Comment

How would you suggest pumping the light through from the outside HDRI map?

Comment

Here's a new rendering. -15 mins at 800x600. Sharp Quadratic AA filter (I always get magic bullet results from this combined with Supersampling) Simple two level: min -3 and max 0.

I reduced the ceiling height. Closed up the room a bit to make it cozier. Shifted lights around- deleted two lamps to speed up rendering time. Increased the reflect/refract subdivisions on the the vrayshades from 10 to 20. Added the back walls for better bounces. Changed the curtains for more vibrancy and to add more character. Threw in a couple plants, photos of Greta Garbo and Nicholas Tesla, a garbage can, a pencil holder, and some loose sheets of paper. Tore down the cheesy painting of the woman. Took the falloff map off the glass and allowed for reflections on the backside. Everything is super-sampled to avoid moires. Changed the HDRI map too. Lampshades were left as is.

-juju

p.s.- Losbellos- I heeded your advice in tossing out the specularity on the omnis. Pretty happy with those results. Didn't play around with attenuation- just the inverse switch and start calues. Thanks for the wonderful tip. And thanks to everyone who's helped to create that wonderful lamp material!

Comment

Hi juju, looking good, you might want to use the environment override and use a more subdued sky light color, I think the blue/purple above the windows is a little too much. also maybe pump up the reflections a bit, looks too flat in there especially the bed frame.

And like I tell some of my other CG friends "Get some sleep"!!!!!!!!
                    Eric Boer
                    Dev

Comment

Originally posted by RErender
                      Hi juju, looking good, you might want to use the environment override and use a more subdued sky light color, I think the blue/purple above the windows is a little too much. also maybe pump up the reflections a bit, looks too flat in there especially the bed frame.
                      I second that......that sky is wwaaayy to distracting

Comment

It Is necessary to work still...

Excuse, but I at all do not like a picture. Neither light, nor materials, a camera angle. All something not so... It Is necessary to work still...

Originally posted by jujubee
                        Here's a new rendering. -15 mins at 800x600. Sharp Quadratic AA filter (I always get magic bullet results from this combined with Supersampling) Simple two level: min -3 and max 0.

I reduced the ceiling height. Closed up the room a bit to make it cozier. Shifted lights around- deleted two lamps to speed up rendering time. Increased the reflect/refract subdivisions on the the vrayshades from 10 to 20. Added the back walls for better bounces. Changed the curtains for more vibrancy and to add more character. Threw in a couple plants, photos of Greta Garbo and Nicholas Tesla, a garbage can, a pencil holder, and some loose sheets of paper. Tore down the cheesy painting of the woman. Took the falloff map off the glass and allowed for reflections on the backside. Everything is super-sampled to avoid moires. Changed the HDRI map too. Lampshades were left as is.

-juju

p.s.- Losbellos- I heeded your advice in tossing out the specularity on the omnis. Pretty happy with those results. Didn't play around with attenuation- just the inverse switch and start calues. Thanks for the wonderful tip. And thanks to everyone who's helped to create that wonderful lamp material!

Comment

Heheh. I guess everyone's entitled to an opinion. At least I appreciate the honest feedback as much as it can be painful. The tips are greatly appreciated. You've got a good eye Rerender.

The focus of this exercise was lamp creation and lighting. This room by no means is complete- it's a 'work in progress.' I'm going for even a darker room as I'm attempting to create a Halloween scene- a ghost wandering around- sitting on the edge of the bed. Perhaps a murder scene. So at that point most of this lighting will disappear.

Anyhow- guess at this point these scenes should be posted to Image Uploads in order to get some constructive criticism there.

But feel free to add some more input if you guys/gals come up with a way to create a better lampshade...

Comment

Last night I got stuck in the same rut of having to do a lampshade as well, so I sat down and went thru this post and while RErender's seems to me the best looking result, it's not always the best when one is not modelling to scale. That said, I tried to combine the best of both worlds from this post as well as proces2's posts and this was my result.

I think it's still missing something, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what.

"Thx Steve for letting me render on your farm!"
                            5 years and counting.

Comment

Looks great, one thing I thinkit is missing is the light through the shade on the wall, wrapper GI tweak might help.
                              Eric Boer
                              Dev

Comment

ah ok, now i see why urs was like that. i'll give it a shot seeing as thats probably what i am missing
                                5 years and counting.

Comment

Working...
                                X