Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with HDRI (Continued ... )

hi guys (and j_bug) :

i followed tutorials from here http://www.visualart.ro/tutorials/hdri/hdri_e.htm
    i am a bit confused here ... currently i am using 2 hdri maps as in the tutorials ... one is under max environment map, and the other one is under vray environment map ...

let's say if i switch OFF the one in the MAX Environment map :
    I lost my background and the reflection on objects, and the scene become dimmer / darker. ( See. Image A )

if i swith OFF the one in VRAY Environment map :
    The background appears, and the scene become brighter. ( See. Image B )

if i switch ON both VRAY and MAX Environment map :
    The scene become perfect .... but ... the background appears there. ( See. Image C )

The question is :
    1. are you guys always use 2 hdri maps, which is one on MAX and the other one on VRAY Environment ? Which is the correct way of using HDRI?
    2. how to eliminate the background, while maintaining the brightness of the scene ( and the reflection of the scene )

Thanks a million

why not using the enviroment for reflection.
    put the hdri in there and turn off the max enviroment map.

Comment

thanks, taboo!! it's working
      i removed hdri map from max environment map ; only put hdri map on vray gi environment and reflection.

now, another question is (sorry for asking too much :P) :
      is this hdri applicable to interior scene (which means all this teapot will be put inside a box)? if yes, is there any tutorial using hdri for interior scene? ... i tried to put in all the teapot inside a room, and it become dark

Comment

ya it seems a lil overcomplicated until you get the hang of it...then its a snap!

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

now, another question is (sorry for asking too much ) :
          is this hdri applicable to interior scene (which means all this teapot will be put inside a box)? if yes, is there any tutorial using hdri for interior scene? ... i tried to put in all the teapot inside a room, and it become dark
          hmm. this is a though one. ... but i think i know the answer.
          do the box.. flip its normals... (or dont flip its normals, if you build the walls of the box)
          then from the object properties, uncheck "Cast Shadows" and "Visible to Reflection/Refraction"..

i think this will help.

Comment

Hi erl,
            I agree with percydaman. You'll get the hang of it in no time

It took me a while to see exactly what's going on but it's pretty simple now that I think about it.

The max environment is a combination of the two environment override slots that Vlado has created. A good trick is that you can also place an HDRI inside a VRay material with the Environment slot there. And if you didn't know the HDR works on the specular reflections to make them more realistic too so you should tweak a separate copy of the map to get a good effect. In most cases I like to put the HDRI inside of an Output map to get good color.

You can use HDRI with interiors but there will have to be portals for it to pass through. And make sure to give everything a thickness of sorts or in other words closed geometry so you don't get light leaks.

Good luck and have fun
            --Jon

Comment

Working...
            X