Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V-Ray 3.0 is scheduled for March next year ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heya,

it seems the link got truncated. Also i'd love to see this for 2011 if possible.

Kind regards,
    Thorsten

Comment

Hi Thorsten,

I think Vlado copied and pasted the post from the thread about exr 2 so it got broken - here's the link - pich.chaosgroup.com/vlado/vray_downloads/vrayoptionre2012.rar

Comment

Thanks a lot John!

Comment

I little question : do you have plan to integrate Python to the API (to create Vray plugin for example) ?
          My question can be idiot because i do not know if it is possible....(like Maya plugin in Python).
          www.deex.info

Comment

Please don't release VRay 3.0 too soon! One of the things I really like about VRay (and hate about 3dsMax) is that we don't get a major release too often, but do get many incremental refinements released as point updates. A full version release every year is not only horrifically expensive if you have to buy a whole bunch of them, but also they tend to be packed with buggy and pointless new stuff. Well, that is if you're following the Autodesk way of doing things (I find VRay to have very few bugs compared to 3dsMax)
            http://www.glass-canvas.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by GLASS-CANVAS View Post
              Please don't release VRay 3.0 too soon! One of the things I really like about VRay (and hate about 3dsMax) is that we don't get a major release too often, but do get many incremental refinements released as point updates. A full version release every year is not only horrifically expensive if you have to buy a whole bunch of them, but also they tend to be packed with buggy and pointless new stuff. Well, that is if you're following the Autodesk way of doing things (I find VRay to have very few bugs compared to 3dsMax)
              Chaos has only released 2 vray versions in 10 years, I think its not that bad to release 3.0 Also you have to consider the costs, the longer they don't have new paid version, the less they get paid. And I mean things are not free in life, people have to continue on, I would buy every release from chaos without a question...Now autodesk is another story.
              Dmitry Vinnik
              Silhouette Images Inc.
              ShowReel:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
              https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by GLASS-CANVAS View Post
                A full version release every year is not only horrifically expensive if you have to buy a whole bunch of them, but also they tend to be packed with buggy and pointless new stuff.
                It's a bit too much work for us as well However we released V-Ray 2.0 in December 2010, so it will be more than two years when we get to V-Ray 3.0

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

http://chaosgroup.com/en/2/siggraph-asia-2012.html

Hope to see some recorded video soon.
                  :: twitter :: Portfolio :: My 3D Products :: ...and ::

Comment

Originally posted by sandykoufax View Post
                    http://chaosgroup.com/en/2/siggraph-asia-2012.html

Hope to see some recorded video soon.
                    Indeed, really looking forward to that.
                    always curious...

Comment

and about the service pack for 2.30?? when will be??

Santa "Vlado" Claus will give us a gift??

Comment

We are in the process of preparing the 2.4 service pack.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

So it looks like I'm the only one wondering what vray 2.0 exactly made it worth buying the update. Ok, there is still 2.4 but I don't think it will contain one of the long wished features.
                          What my impression of big features in 2.x is:
                          - VrayRT (not a real "development intensive" feature since it has been there before as standalone), i never got it working anyways constantly freezing after 1 rendering in GPU mode
                          - Stereo camera workflow with enhancements for GI calculations
                          - Lightcache retrace
                          Materials, GI, and standard features kept being more or less the same as before (with exception of sampling improvements where i'm not exactly sure I ever noticed)

So what did I expect from Vray 2.x ?
                          - Include/exclude features in Reflections/Refractions per material
                          - Include/exclude features in Render elements (not just lighting, which is not that useful without the other renderelements)
                          - better unbiased GI methods (BPTracer is not even usable in any situation, just a toy where I'm not sure why it was implemented anyways)
                          - Speed, we all love faster renderings, but 1.5 was not much slower than 2.0
                          - Selfillumination in VrayMtl (yeah, this one is reeeaaally old)

I used both 2.0 and 1.5, the new one at home, the other one at work. There were very few moments I wished we had 2.0 at work.
                          I don't want to say everything's bad and I wouldn't want to use vray anymore - I like rendering with vray but I'm not seeing any progress in major features and I'll certainly not buy another update so blindly hoping for features like those mentioned above. Workflow enhancements and useful little tools are a good thing but don't forget the remarkable steps forward.

Comment

You will still get the self-illumination in the V-Ray material While I agree that the features you listed did not make into the 2.x versions and were left for 3.0, there was a lot of other stuff that did make it in - i.e. multithreading improvements (on many-core machines, you will find 1.5 much slower in certain situations); Ptex and Alembic; tiled EXR texture support; Ornatrix and HairFarm support and the hair material; GPU stuff (even though you did not find any use for it, other people did).

But all in all, V-Ray is quite a mature engine now; whatever remarkable steps were easy to make, we have already made them. From here on, it takes an awful lot of work to make anything that looks "remarkable" in your trained eyes And V-Ray 1.5 is still quite a good engine after all. It's perfectly understandable that not everyone will find a need to upgrade.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

Thank you for you quick answer.
                              Reading that those features will make it in 3.0 is a nice thing but I'll wait and see
                              Right, Vray already is a very solid piece of software but there is always something that can be made better or a new kind of technology that can be used - like going more and more unbiased (which is a pretty old one but starting to become useful with our modern hardware). That's why I'm still curious why the BPtracer was implemented. Sure, it's better to have it in a major release but still, funny.
                              I'm sure there is a lot that can be done to make a renderer "state of the art" and still surprise user with new features - there are many things in the wislist section...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadClown View Post
                                That's why I'm still curious why the BPtracer was implemented. Sure, it's better to have it in a major release but still, funny.
                                I wanted to see how difficult it would be and whether the V-Ray API would hold up to the task. It is also a good experimental framework for other stuff.

Best regards,
                                Vlado

Comment

Working...
                                X