• Show
Clear All

Thanks Bertrand!
    Maya 2020/2022
    Win 10x64
    Vray 5

Comment

Originally posted by simmsimaging View Post
      Your last render is bang on Bertrand. I can't see it needing to be more realistic than that Now it would just be a matter of having a wide set of maps so each leaf could have more variation - that's another thing that kills realism in a lot of vegetation.

That said, I think it might be easier (for print anyway) to get an Object ID pass of all the leaves and just vary them up in post with a quick pass.

Anyway, nice work.
      Brett,
      You can set up a multisub material and have different leaf colours/tones and then use a materialbyelement modifier on the leaves to randomise the different materials.
      It takes a little while to set up but once it is set up it works really well.
      Chris Jackson
      Shiftmedia
      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Originally posted by jacksc02 View Post
        Brett,
        You can set up a multisub material and have different leaf colours/tones and then use a materialbyelement modifier on the leaves to randomise the different materials.
        It takes a little while to set up but once it is set up it works really well.
        For sure.

/b
        Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
        e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Nice, for 'perfection' add a couple of yellow and brown leaves and it will be perfect...

Comment

Another question is: do you use sub-pixel on or off? In all our outdoor project, with a lot of trees, with this option OFF or ON we have very different rendering in the leafs models (also in all model with high specular). Better is OFF, but it's impossible to render (ok, for me). For example an outdoor 3K render take usually 6-8 hours with sub-pixel ON. With sub-pixel OFF, I think 30 or more hours... LINK
            www.francescolegrenzi.com

VRay - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book
            Corona - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

Hi Cecofuli, always off here. Render times can get steep with many trees but bearable - and I have antique hardware. Do you make sure you remove the filtering on your opacity maps?
              Check my blog

Comment

Yes, in all our trees, bushes etc... if you want, I can make some test. But I'm 101% sure With sub-pixel off, render time a forest, like in my link or in our other projects, is very high, too high

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

trees just don't look realistic enough with sub-pixel on, imho (but certainly much much faster!)

http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/201...of-highlights/
                  www.peterguthrie.net
                  www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
                  www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

You are 100% right. There are hundreds threads in this forum about this annoying "problem" (sub-pixel ON or OFF), but in production, our client cannot wait 20-30 hours for a single rendering...
                    Try to render these scenes (QMC+LC) with or without... impossible.

Last edited by cecofuli; 13-09-2012, 02:35 PM.

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

Originally posted by cecofuli View Post
                      Another question is: do you use sub-pixel on or off? In all our outdoor project, with a lot of trees, with this option OFF or ON we have very different rendering in the leafs models (also in all model with high specular). Better is OFF, but it's impossible to render (ok, for me). For example an outdoor 3K render take usually 6-8 hours with sub-pixel ON. With sub-pixel OFF, I think 30 or more hours... LINK
                      I may get flamed for this, but these guys are rendering trees on gpu...not in real time, but not very long time either, between 10-20 min per frame for full HD res, not bad:

http://render.otoy.com/forum/downloa...5998&mode=view

http://render.otoy.com/forum/downloa...6001&mode=view

http://render.otoy.com/forum/downloa...6068&mode=view
                      Last edited by Morbid Angel; 13-09-2012, 03:34 PM.
                      Dmitry Vinnik
                      Silhouette Images Inc.
                      ShowReel:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                      https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

I think Octane has some potential and it does produce some good stuff - but those trees look more like "sub-pixel on" versions to me, so don't really look as realistic IMO. That could just be a material tweaking thing though.

b
                        Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                        e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Francesco - if you're rendering to float and using "don't affect colours" would it be worth trying vlado's trick of using reinhard to cut down some of the really high value pixels that take ages to resolve?

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                            Francesco - if you're rendering to float and using "don't affect colours" would it be worth trying vlado's trick of using reinhard to cut down some of the really high value pixels that take ages to resolve?
                            Which trick is this you are referring to John? Doesnt color mapping get ignored if you use "Dont Effect Colours"?
                            Kind Regards,
                            Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                              Which trick is this you are referring to John? Doesnt color mapping get ignored if you use "Dont Effect Colours"?
                              I suppose he's talking about this one
                              http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...read.php?67419
                              Alessandro

Comment

Originally posted by cecofuli View Post
                                Try to render these scenes (QMC+LC) with or without... impossible.
                                Is it really necessary to do aerial exteriors with qmc? Switching to IR/LC would speed those up 10 fold.

Comment

Working...
                                X